Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:27 AM   #1

:!:

Hi everyone,

I just purchased the D200 body and have some doubts as to whether I got an unused body (as in not used in the showroom). If anyone else who has purchased the D200 could answer the following questions, it'd be VERY much appreciated.

1 - I noticed that when I pealed off the protective film (which had somedebrisbetween the film and cover, not to mention itlooked like it could of been taken off and reapplyed)from the plastic protective cover for the lcd, the protective cover had minute scratches on it (by no means large and very noticeable, but nevertheless, it is faintly scratched, shouldn't a new cover be flawless???). Did anyone else notice very faint scratches on the lcd protective cover (the detachable one)?

2 - When I inserted a newly charged battery and turned on the camera for the first time ever, it was already in a menu (image options menu) other then the language menu. The manual states that the camera starts (only on the first power up) automatically in the language selection menu when you start it for the first time, mine didn't start there (so it was previously started?). Anyone else's camera start in any other menu?

Did anyone else notice the same things on their new D200 body? Perhaps it sounds silly, but I paid for a new (unused) camera, and that's what I expect. Mine was made in Thailand. If anyone can confirm their observations to my above questions (1 and 2) and confirm whether or not they had the same thing, it'd be very very much appreciated. Thank you!!!

Tobarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:55 AM   #2

Tobarus wrote:
Quote:
:!:

Hi everyone,

I just purchased the D200 body and have some doubts as to whether I got an unused body (as in not used in the showroom). If anyone else who has purchased the D200 could answer the following questions, it'd be VERY much appreciated.

1 - I noticed that when I pealed off the protective film (which had somedebrisbetween the film and cover, not to mention itlooked like it could of been taken off and reapplyed)from the plastic protective cover for the lcd, the protective cover had minute scratches on it (by no means large and very noticeable, but nevertheless, it is faintly scratched, shouldn't a new cover be flawless???). Did anyone else notice very faint scratches on the lcd protective cover (the detachable one)?

2 - When I inserted a newly charged battery and turned on the camera for the first time ever, it was already in a menu (image options menu) other then the language menu. The manual states that the camera starts (only on the first power up) automatically in the language selection menu when you start it for the first time, mine didn't start there (so it was previously started?). Anyone else's camera start in any other menu?

Did anyone else notice the same things on their new D200 body? Perhaps it sounds silly, but I paid for a new (unused) camera, and that's what I expect. Mine was made in Thailand. If anyone can confirm their observations to my above questions (1 and 2) and confirm whether or not they had the same thing, it'd be very very much appreciated. Thank you!!!
Quote:
Sounds like you have a used camera. These models are just trickling in at the dealers. They can't keep them on the shelves as they are in so much demand. If they do get a chance to demo one, it won't stay around too long. I have a friend that works at one of the local dealers. Any D200's that come in are gone by the time I get there.
Quote:
It does sound like this camera was used for a short period of time as a demo. Not necessarly one used to show customers, but one that has been played around with by the staff. Normally when abrand new modelcomes on the market, one is used as a demo by the staff,so they canbecome familiar withit. Unless there is any problems with the camera, it should be OK, but if you are like me, I would go back and demand a new one that hasn't been taken out of the box...that is if there are any available as yet.
jpeg is offline   Reply With Quote