Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 18, 2003, 8:55 PM   #1

Default ccd cleaning again

any one has experience on this co2 blower?...saw this on the fm webpage..

http://www.americanrecorder.com/cata...products_id=81
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:38 AM   #2

Maybe I'm just a CCD cleaning wuss but the amount of air a 12 gram CO2 cartridge can eject would scare me away, no matter how much I trusted the regulator.

On the other hand, Luminous Landscape seems to like it although there's a warning about oily residue:
http://luminous-landscape.com/essays...cleaning.shtml
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 11:30 AM   #3

I've never tried it, but I agree with JimS's warning. The most common comment I hear is to be afraid of residue.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:43 PM   #4
Administrator

The safest and only really approved way of cleaning sensors is to use the SensorSwab and only then when you follow the directions to the letter. "Blowing" air or anything across a sensor is not a good idea as it can often deposit as much (if not more) debris then it removes. Think of all the dirt and other contaminents that are lurking inside your shutter/mirror box assembly that get blown loose just to land somewhere else (like your imager) when you blast air in there.

And some imager spots are hard little things that can only be removed by the physical contact of the SensorSwab, no amount of air blasts will remove them.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 3:09 AM   #5

really?...i took my d1x to the local authorize nikon repair store...they used a air compressor....its clean as new....

thats why i ask this question

by the way....the co2 blower...is not that good...psi is not much....my hand blower is better...waste of money
Old Mar 31, 2003, 12:42 PM   #6

A agree with mrdinh. Had the same problem - it took the Nikonguy about 10 sec. to clean the ccd. Too hours of shooting later the CCD was dusted again. Irritating.

I then tried the earblower, but it couldn't do the job totally. It simply contains too little air. Then I got an idea eating pasta with kechup from Heinz...you may laugh now...
When this large bottle was finally emty I cleaned it with near boiling water several times - then dry it for at couple of days to be sure is was really dry - all the time with the top on...

This bottle is made of soft plastic and contains LOTS of air. I've been cleaning my CCD a couple of times and it works fantastic - no dust problem on my CCD anymore. Funny how little it takes to make things work sometimes.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 12:55 PM   #7

Well, I found www.bhphotovideo.com there has SUPER BLOWER AIR BULB only 10 dollar. I tried with my D1H and it's very clean and dust off so fast!

I test with f/22 to f/36 (whatever) with white background and TEST, no black dots!

No problem... tiny bulb not work. Your idea is silly ketcup bottle sigh. ha ha

yes I heard about co2 and swab make me worry but I dont want to know.. I like super blower air for safe my own.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 12:58 PM   #8

Your right...it's silly. But nevertheless it WORKS!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 11:46 AM   #9

I've been using the blower bulb method myself and only seem to have to clean inside every six weeks or so. Just a guess, but I suspect now that we're getting to the more dry (read that dustier) months that it will need cleaning more often. I normally work with the lens mount facing down...that way blown out material is more likely to fall out, rather than getting shuffled around inside.

I won't go the Eclipse/Sensor Swab route until I encounter dust I can't deal with by the bulb and my warranty has expired or Nikon chooses to endorse the method.
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 2:53 PM   #10

ya'll that say you don't have much dust probs and clean say once a month or even less....do you guys stop down lot?...i'm meant to f-22 or lower?.....and change lenses everyday?...if you leave once lense on all the time...why did you buy a interchangeable body?....or do you have the magical body that has all focal lengths?

i do all the time with my macro and landscape....and dust magically appears...

so i disagree about the amount of cleaning...i think my d1x ccd needs cleaning at least 1 a week.