Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2006, 3:26 PM   #1

Hello everyone a new post of which you have probably read many times!I have recently got a D50 and am really enjoying it. I had an olympus E10 before that which had a fixed lens so nothing to worry about..Now with Ebay, my trigger finger and the D50 there is so much out there! I have recently purchased a Vivitar 80-200mm Touch Zoom, and I think its fantastic. Due to the speed of preview on the D50 its easy to see what the viewfinder missed and I appriciate that the lengths etc are different.My question though surrounds compatible lenses, that is to say at this stage lenses that will not destroy my camera! I am not always going to be getting Nikon lenses and here in lies the problem. Lots of Vivitor lenses appear on ebay at great prices. My thinking is I will purchaswe them and see if they will be used long term, if they do then I will save for proper modern lenses.So my question is what thrid party lenses can I use on my D50, or specifically which ones can I not use? Date of manufactuer might be difficult as they don't normally have that information on Ebay.Anywa thanks for any help.**P.S. this forum does not really work to well on an AppleMac!
garyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2006, 3:26 PM   #2

For instance my post did have paragraphs where needed!
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:20 PM   #3

For the most part, as long as they are AF/Nikon mount lenses, they should work. Sigma, tokina, Tamron and Vivitar all make lenses for Nikon AF DSLR/SLR cameras. These lenses are of varying quality, some good, some bad, and some awful. Usually you can judge quality based on price...this is even true of Nikkor lenses. I tend to stick with Nikkor glass (just a personal preference) and Nikon makes some failry inexpensive consumer grade lenses.

Now if you're looking at non AF lenses, they may fit but they definitely won't meter...you would have to set shutter/aperature manually.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 2:41 AM   #4

Thanks for that, what I have enjoyed with the zoom lens is that you have to meter, its making me learn things I am otherwise to lazy to learn.