Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 6, 2002, 7:54 PM   #1
Administrator

Default D100 First Look posted

Be sure to check out our Nikon D100 First Look review. Lots of great info posted there already and more being added all the time. I've already started adding to the sample photos page too with more to come including more studio shots.

This is a great camera and the wait is almost over with Nikon promising that it will begin shipping at the end of the month. As with all "hot and new" cameras the D100 is bound to be in short supply for the first couple of months so I would advise you to get on a pre-order list as soon as pre-ordering begins. I will post info and link for pre-ordering from RitzCamera very soon, watch here and on the News page.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2002, 1:20 AM   #2
Oz

Default D100 in the studio

Steve,

Just how were your studio shots, such as: DSC_0943.jpg taken? There has been discussions on the net that the hot shoe on the D100 will not work with the Nikon AS-15 sync terminal and there is no sync terminal ont he camera body. Please correct me if I'm wrong or you have other knowledge. I'm really interested in this camera.

Oz
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2002, 12:34 PM   #3

Steve, I don't have the package or instructions for my AS-15 handy but I don't recall anything about voltage isolateion as you mention in the review. I may dig out my little screwdrivers and crack it open to peek but a quick check with a meter says it's just a passive connector.

If you do want voltage isolation Wein makes a safe sync ISO to PC adapter that has a Nikon style threaded PC socket but it's more pricey than an AS-15 Cat #990-550 near the bottom of the page You can also buy a Mamiya branded version of the same product.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2002, 2:05 PM   #4
Administrator

For the studio shot that is currently on the sample photos page we used a Pocket Wizard Plus from Sekonic which is a wireless radio slave that fits on the flash hot shoe. Neat toy but $465 price tag for going wireless in the studio.

-Steve

[Edited on 6-12-2002 by steve]
Old Jun 14, 2002, 6:58 AM   #5

Steve,

Drop the "first look" slogan . . . there's nothing there that we all havent known for months !

With only a week or so to go before I get the camera, a review is bit late!

Nikon - if you have held Steve to an NDA - let go, it's waaaay toooo late !

HTH
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2002, 7:58 PM   #6
Administrator

There's nothing to "drop" - we have two kinds of reviews here, First Look reviews of pre-production cameras and Full reviews of production cameras. Nikon has not given me (or any other reviewer) a full production camera yet.

Good luck getting one next week - so far all we know is that the D100 will officially be available for sale on 6/28/2002. It will be many months before any dealers are taking anything but pre-orders for it. The D60 is still on a pre-order only basis and it's been "out" for months now.

Doesn't sound like you need a review of it anyway - you know it's a great camera or else you wouldn't be buying it

-Steve