Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:08 AM   #1

I cannot be the only person to bemoan the fact that there is no PC synch socket on the D5-/D70 - to connect to my studio flash I must purchase the hot shoe adapter!

IMO the hot shoe is not the best place to have wires coming out of!

Just my 2 pennorth

george_356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:10 PM   #2

Can I suggest that it might have paid to research this before buying the camera unless of course you are just mentioning it as a result of doing said research.

I dont understand what the problem is with using the adaptor just feed the cable down the side of the lens. The camera is on a tripod I assume and any wires will be secured to the tripod. Of course Nikons intention is for you to use their Wireless Creative lighting system doing away with the need for wires at all.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:28 AM   #3

Yep - did the research before I bought it! - but the alternate choice also does not have a sych socket ( Canon eos350d)

How much does it cost to implement a synch socket? ( found on EVERY film SLR ever made!)

All photo wisdom tells the novice to get the flash away from the camers lens axis - and this cam is not aimed at novices - so why do Nikon not have this as standard? - just a small niggle on what is a great camera!

Have got the hot shoe adapter - yet anothe £20 for Nikon to trouser! lol

G
george_356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:37 PM   #4

My last Nikon film SLR didn't have a sync socket either, bought in 1999. They seem to have disappeared from all but high end cameras over the last few years. One reason is the rise of dedicated flash which need extra connections.

I've used a hot shoe to PC cable adapter with no problems for 6 years, although not often I'll admit.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:19 AM   #5

I think it should have had one as well. But the adapter does work and I don't use it much. But what they really need is a shorter cable to go from the hot shoe to a grip mounted flash. Anice 6 inch or so cable would be better than the three foot monster. I don't like using the cordless flash whan only 6 inches away.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:34 AM   #6

As said else where not_every_SLR has a synch socket however the S9500 I had previously to the D50 had one, and I guess you are right it's a shame it's missing. As you sayprobably pennies to implement but the CLS is supposed to do away with the need for it.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:32 PM   #7

I use it for an OLD ring flash.The adapter was not that expensive and works fine.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote