Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:07 PM   #11

Thanks, that helps. I think the $700 lense will have to wait. But the 50 and the kit sounds a good way to go.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:47 AM   #12

Like everybody else, I highly doubt you'll miss the extra features. After all, the D50 can do bracketing, you just have to hit the menu for a second. I just got my D50 on Monday and am very happy with it. Grab the kit and a decent telephoto and you will at least be set up until you can afford better glass.
By the way, www.adorama.com sells the D50 for $599.99 with $6.95 shipping. Go for it.

Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:14 AM   #13

DrDictionary1 wrote:
Quote:
Like everybody else, I highly doubt you'll miss the extra features. After all, the D50 can do bracketing, you just have to hit the menu for a second. I just got my D50 on Monday and am very happy with it. Grab the kit and a decent telephoto and you will at least be set up until you can afford better glass.
By the way, http://www.adorama.com sells the D50 for $599.99 with $6.95 shipping. Go for it.

Mike
It's not the 'extra features' that make sharp pictures, it's the lens and the ccd.I took this picture this morning with my D50 at ISO 800. Very often I have to use ISO 800 for birding, even in the tropic because birds are active in early morning and before sun set. If it's a D70s I think there would be lots of noises. Why pay more for less?

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...cat/fav/page/1
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:25 PM   #14

I spent weeks/months trying tomake the same choice. I went with the D50 with the two kit lens package. I shoot weddings and lots of on stage action shots plus posed backdrop shots. Although at times I wish I had a little faster ISO, I know that faster than 1600 with the D70 creates more problems with grain..The D50 is a solid camera for the buck. Try and save some bucks for 2.8 zoom. Thats my next purchase..Good shootin.
chichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:31 AM   #15

chichi wrote:
Quote:
I spent weeks/months trying tomake the same choice. I went with the D50 with the two kit lens package. I shoot weddings and lots of on stage action shots plus posed backdrop shots. Although at times I wish I had a little faster ISO, I know that faster than 1600 with the D70 creates more problems with grain..The D50 is a solid camera for the buck. Try and save some bucks for 2.8 zoom. Thats my next purchase..Good shootin.
The maximum ISO for D70 is also 1600, same number as that of the D50 but in actual life D70s will give higher noise and not suitable for ISO over 400.

According to many tests seen on the webD50 at ISO 800 will give less noise than D70s at ISO 200. D70s cost more but is not as good as D50 when comparing noises at high ISO. See graph in my earlier post in this thread.

If you want to have a D70s just wait a few months,I am sureyou can getone for less than a D50. It happened to D100/D70 and the same thing will happen againto D70/D50.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:50 PM   #16

I'm looking to get the Nikon D50 body in the near future. I have a Fuji S9000 and I think it takes excellent pictures in it's own right, and has a bracketing feature as well. However, for the finess of detail I believe the Nikon D50, with it's bigger sensor and different compressions outshine the Fuji in the resolution dept.. (as well as several other Digital SLR cameras as well).

I have a Nikon F3 with a fairly recent Tamron XR (IF) 28-200 zoom and would be intereseted in trying this lens on a friends D100 when he gets back from diving in Bonaire. I can find the body only for around $540ish at B&H Photovideo online. I've even seen a pretty good price at http://www.amazon.com Perhaps in a couple of months the price might even drop a bit more. I'm pretty pleased with the Fuji, don't get me wrong, but I also have large format cameras and 6X7 medium format for the image quality. Too bad they don't make a graflok back for view cameras that would be digital. The ability to use swings and tilts would be an amazing achievement in the digital realm.

Vern

This is a picutre of our winery's cat. He was taken with the Fuji S9000 sitting on top of the room dividers. We thought is was so funny that he managed to get up there.

Attached Images

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote