Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:42 PM   #1

This may be a really obvious question - but at what dpi are pictures produced on the D200 at both jpeg and RAW.

I'm going to get myself one in a few months time and I was wondering about this as I couldn't see it mentioned anywhere.
EdGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:16 AM   #2
DBB

EdGallagher wrote:
Quote:
This may be a really obvious question - but at what dpi are pictures produced on the D200 at both jpeg and RAW.

I'm going to get myself one in a few months time and I was wondering about this as I couldn't see it mentioned anywhere.
DPI is a meaningless number in this situation. It's a number relevant only for printing. Your images are a certain number of pixels high and a certain number across. Later on, in post processing, you set the dpi for final output.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:43 AM   #3

yes you set the dpi what you want in PP, but this camera has a maximum pixel capture size 3,872 x 2,592. Therefore printing at 300dpi this would equate to maximum picture size of 12.91 inches x 8.64 inches.

some say you can go to 200dpi to print for 'normal' purposes in which case you can print at 19.36 inches x 12.96 inches...

both these are referring to normal inkjet/photo processeses... if you were printing posters on a professional press you can go to much lower dpi's...

here explains it much more:

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...nt_size_2.html
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote