Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 24, 2003, 12:04 AM   #1

Default Eureka! Digital SLR! is there a FAQ?

I realized after my CP 950 and CP4500, I have been questing a digital SLR without knowing it existed. Is there a faq that explains the basics?
I am puzzled about lenses- can I use my old Nikon lenses from film slr days?
Thanks for your generous help.
Sue
sburgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:13 AM   #2

I would bet there is an FAQ out there, but I haven't seen it. I assume since you have older Nikon lenses and you have 2 CP cameras, you understand the basics of photography. That is the type of FAQ that I've been seeing. If you have specific questions about DSLRs, just ask. I'm sure someone here will know.

As to the lenses, here is the info I have about what lenses work with the D100. I don't know if this is also true with the D1x and D1h.

-----------------------------------------

AF-D and AF-G lenses (with or without IF)
- All functions available, not limitations

AF-I, AF-S lenses- (with internal focus motor)
- All functions available, no limitations

AF lenses
- All functions available, No 3D matrix, only 2D metering (Spot & Center only ???)

AI, AI'd, AIS, and Series E Manual Focus Lenses
- NO Matrix metering, Spot & Center metering OK, Aperture Priority OK, NO Shutter Priority

Non AI and other Manual Focus lenses (most made earlier than 1977)
- NO, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOUNT - IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR D100's METERING TAB!
- They can be converted to AI see http://aiconversions.com

Nikkor IX (APS)
- NO, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOUNT. IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR D100's METERING TAB!
- These can NOT be converted.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have enjoyed lurking and picking up information- I was just hoping for an easy intro because I never know what facts I'm missing. Lense discussions certainly seem to be a large focus after one selects a body.
Sue
sburgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2003, 3:08 PM   #4

I know what you mean about not knowing what you're missing. I've been lurking here and other forums for a while now. I keep seeing things that I didn't know or even though of. I have a whole raft of links to places to learn about photography, but I don't believe any of them are DSLR specific.

As to your lens comment. Once you buy the camera, it's all about lenses. By buying a DSLR, you are buying into a "system". Compatable lenses make up a huge part of that. Cameras will come and go, but those lenses will keep working (assuming compatable mounts.)

"The basics" as I understand the use of that word, are the same with decent digital cameras. Assuming you used your camera in any setting other than fully auotmatic, that is. If so, then you had to deal with apetures, shutter speed and all that. They are the same with the DSLR, just that you have more control. It gets more specific once you leave the "basics" of photography and into the things you can do with your camera.

Since you are in the Nikon forum, are you thining of the D100? If so, I'd recomment getting this book:

http://www.bythom.com/d100guide.htm

It should be stated that I don't own it, but I have heard nothing but praise for it. If I get a D100 (it's either that or the Canon 10D) this book will be one of my first purchases.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote