Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 20, 2006, 7:32 AM   #131

Greetings,

Hello all, my d50 arrived Tuesday evening so I'd like to join your club . Much learning to do- waiting for the rain to pass so I can go out and practice. Here's one of my first pics. Hope you have a great weekend.

David B.

http://www.BeesKneesImaging.com

Attached Images

Bees Knees Imaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 8:22 PM   #132

David,

Welcome & Thanks for Sharing!

ruchai,

To be honest your "Bulbul" (thanks for teaching me the bird's name), is much sharper and color-rich than mine.

Even more surprising is to find that you shot with 400mm focal length.

Which lense did you use? I guess it must have been with VR.

Mine is a low-cost Tamron 18-200mm. And it's not sharp at all at the tele (200mm) end. And the picture I posted above was a little bit over exposed (too long 1/100s exposure). But is very convenient (400gram only).

I am wondering if your good picture quality was due to D200 vs D50 or due to the lens, in addition to your better skill.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 4:05 AM   #133

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
David,

Welcome & Thanks for Sharing!

ruchai,

To be honest your "Bulbul" (thanks for teaching me the bird's name), is much sharper and color-rich than mine.

Even more surprising is to find that you shot with 400mm focal length.

Which lense did you use? I guess it must have been with VR.

Mine is a low-cost Tamron 18-200mm. And it's not sharp at all at the tele (200mm) end. And the picture I posted above was a little bit over exposed (too long 1/100s exposure). But is very convenient (400gram only).

I am wondering if your good picture quality was due to D200 vs D50 or due to the lens, in addition to your better skill.

I use Nikkor 80-400VR. D200 does help me to be able to crop more than when I shoot with D50. But I can not see much differences in the pictures taken by the two cameras. This picture was taken with D50 and Nikkor 80-400VR.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 5:49 PM   #134

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
I use Nikkor 80-400VR. D200 does help me to be able to crop more than when I shoot with D50. But I can not see much differences in the pictures taken by the two cameras. This picture was taken with D50 and Nikkor 80-400VR.
Wow! I think I see a huge difference in the last Bulbul shot. Maybe I need an eye exam. :lol:

Were all the Bulbul shots taken with your d50? Or was the previous pic, file name Red-whiskered_Bulbul_1714 posted Sat May 20th, 2006 12:40 am from your d200?

Either way, a greatpic.

Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 5:29 PM   #135

Well, a great allround lens if not the very best at the moment is the Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.3 VR.

If it`s in your budget then look around no more and go for it...it`s small..light and produces very good pictures with it`s VR feature.

tommysdad wrote:
Quote:
Congratulations Norm!!!

Overall I think the camera is great and I`m glad I bought it.Today I took back the 70-300 G lens ,it was too big and clunky and I wasn`t all that impressed with it.I`m looking for an everydaywalkaround lens ,but i`m on a budget, maybe a 28-200 or 28-300 tamron XR,I haven`t really looked at the options yet.????

TommysDad
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 5:45 PM   #136

Fantastic allround lens is the Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.3 VR...you`ll do almost everything with this lens and it has the "optical stabilization" which was on your FZ30.

Is it in your budget ? i paid mine 670 euro

Don`t forget thatwhen you start with DSLR you`ll want to purchasevery good lenses that you`ll most certainly keep for a very long time. Maybe later you`ll want to upgradeyour camera ,make sure your lenses are exactly what you need and you`ll keep them.

I`ve got3 lenses : Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.3 VR .. Tokina 12-24mm f4 .. Nikkor 50mm f1.8D

I canshoot anything with these lenses except maybe macro shots

zygh wrote:
Quote:
ok, thank you guys for the quick reply.
i currently own a panny fz30 and i am seriously considering the nikon d50.
allthough i like the ability of the fz30 to shoot movies i cannot be content with the high noise and the low light capabilities. i mainly enjoy taking pictures in low light conditions and for that, almost every time, the fz30 needs a tripod and long exposures (not to mention a few tries) for the resulting image to be satisfactory.
for now, i'm looking to sell my fz30 and upgrade to the entry level dslr nikon d50.
the main disadvantages, as some have already indicated, are the loss of that all-in-one 12x leica lens and the image stabilization. well, as far as i've considered things, these two drawbacks are far outweight by the advantages that the d50 brings with. and, for the price, the d50 makes a terrific argument. now, i'd like a lens for the d50 that has good results and pretty good zooming capabilities and, also, comes for a good price. maybe you guys can tell me a little bit about that, as well.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 2:18 AM   #137

guillermovilas After much internet / forum research I'm going for the same lens setup as yourself. Tokina 12-24mm is currently on the camera, the 50mm f1.8 is in the post, and I'm on the waiting lists of many for the 18-200mm VR.

I must admit I'm holding off on buying either a Tamron or Sigma macro (I've gone over the budget already). However even more internet research has uncovered the fact that you can convert your trusty 50mm into a macro lens using a BR2A reversing ring.

Check out
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...reversing+ring
and
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=18519755

I'll probably wait while I get used to DSLR with the three lenses, and then at a later stage consider the macro route.
B3_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 2:31 AM   #138

zygh I was considering Panasonic FZ30 as the upgrade path from my FX9, but once I looked into the limitations of what is a brilliant zoom camera, and especially when I found out about the 18-200mm VR lens, I made the switch to the D50.

The 18-200mm lens makes your D50 into a 11.1x zoom with optical stabilisation (practically an FZ30), and you have the advantage of interchangeable lenses (that's why I've got the wide angle 12-24mm for landscape shots); low light performance; less noise; and a camera you can develop your skills with.

Also when its time to upgrade again, you'll only be replacing the body.
B3_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 2:47 AM   #139

Right, well, I bought my D50 more than a month ago with the 18-55mm Nikkor kit lens but soon sold that and bought the Sigma 18-200mm. I can't afford the Nikkor 18-200mm just yet. Itappears that manyNikon users are getting this lens. I bought the Sigma from a guy in Germany that was selling his to buy the Nikkor.I'mconsidering the Nikkor 50mm F/1.8 as well. Some time in the future I'd like to get the Sigma 10-20mm but for right now, my current line-up will do.

About the FZ30. Some guywrote on a thread on Steve's forums that if the FZ30benefited from theSuperCCDtechnology that Fujifilm has, it would be untouchable. I agree with that 200%. I've seen what the SuperCCD can do and no other point&shoot canmatch it.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 11:53 PM   #140

Hola everyone I am new here and just purchased the D50 after doing so much research my head hurts.

Love the pictures that some of you have posted, it was part of the reason I bought this camera - gorgeous piccies.

Learning mode, I was just wondering if you ever got your camera back? I read through the whole thread and you were so excited when you got it, I am sure it was such a let down to have to send it back.

Mine should be here early next week and I can't wait!!:G

If anyone has any more pictures, sure would love to see em....

Laters

Pam
rodri59 is offline   Reply With Quote