Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:12 PM   #151

A first effort with the new camera. SO far I love it, much to learn still :?

rodri59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:12 PM   #152

wow VERY nice!!!

what lense did u use? did u shoot manual ?

JUNE 6th.. is when tracking UPS says I get my new D50. Gosh I can't wait.... christmas all over again!!!:-)

learning_mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:30 AM   #153

Thanks learning mode.

I got my camera last Friday and took this on Saturday with it. HAH not bad for a complete novice ey! I think I just got lucky, anyway....

I used a my Tamron 70-300mm zoom. It was on auto/child mood (for better colour), since I am not comfortable with manual settings as yet.

But I was very happy with it.

Hope you get yours soon! I think you will have a ball, I have watched your posts and how, sadly, you had to send yours back My heart was breaking for you.

Let me know when you get it and post a picture, I would love to see what you take. You seem very passionate about photography, like me

Pam
Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:07 PM   #154

Love the D50 ever since I've met her..... getting the 50mm 1.8D soon to complement it... there's a sample of one of my shots
Attached Images

DrewD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:15 AM   #155

Nice shot Drew, what lens?
Old Jun 3, 2006, 2:15 PM   #156

Thank you for commenting on why you didn't choose D70.I heard a sales person in a camera store tell me that buying newer technology always better. I couldn't understand, when reviews seem to show all the missing features i would like (I think). No chart like you provided showing comparisons of noise levels in SLRs.* That is very helpful. I am sitting on a fence over D50-D70.Reading how the kit lense is better on D70.They told me at Nikon representative yesterday that the wait for a one lense 18-200 Nikon*dx (the$700 one everyone mentions) is prohibitive;If I change to D50 for weight, better pi cture/less noise which lense should I choose. One salesman suggested Tamaron 18-200 (he didn't give me any further specs...it was crowded. Price was not broken out. but he Calculated a body only D70 with this lense from Tamaron at$1099.95.* Nikon rep earlier suggested the D50 kit on sale with the 18-55 lense and one available NIKON LENSE a 70-300 ED.**Any suggestions welcome. I am so anxious to buy while they are having sales. Been reasearching for two months. I think I can afford the D50 better as I do want a good telephoto (zoom in on image). New to SLR from San Diego.
rhetarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 3:49 PM   #157

Hey there,

I can't tell u personally which lens is best but here's some links I have been going over and over to try and reach which lenseswill bebest for me. Your welcome to the links.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm
http://www.bythom.com/Recs.htm
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...p;changemode=1
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/13

I love trying to get the most for my buck... Glad to meet you and keep us posted on how things turn out on your decisions!! If I find more links will update them here incase others could use them...

:| debby
learning_mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:36 AM   #158

I have a D200 and have been wating on the 18-200mm VR for 2 months. in the meantime I bought the 18-55mm Nikon AF-S and later the 70-300 G along with a D50 body for my wife - she kept taking my precious. LOL

For the price, the 70-300 G is a steal. for around $130 or so you have the ability to reach out and touch most anything. Ken Rockwell lays out the best settings to use it well, but also says he sees little to no difference with the ED version except it's a bit better made and is heavier.

The 18-55mm is a great little lens for the D50. I find my D200 is rather sensitive to little flaws in lenses, and am chomping at the bit for the 18-200 VR, since it was made for the D200.

good luck!
nojustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:42 AM   #159

nojustice wrote:
Quote:
The 18-55mm is a great little lens for the D50. I find my D200 is rather sensitive to little flaws in lenses, and am chomping at the bit for the 18-200 VR, since it was made for the D200.

good luck!
The 18-200 was not specifically made for just the D200. They were released at the same time, but the lens will perform equally well exhibiting the same image characteristics with the entire line of Nikons dslr (aside from differences in resolution).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:48 AM   #160

hip-hip-hooray!!! to rjseeney!

now, just make that 18-200mm vrless than 400 bucks and lemme have one... pronto! :?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote