Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 4, 2006, 1:14 PM   #161

zygh wrote:
Quote:
hip-hip-hooray!!! to rjseeney!

now, just make that 18-200mm vrless than 400 bucks and lemme have one... pronto! :?
In Hong Kong , it's been out-of-stock for 1 months (need to order with some deposit first)

I think the lenses must be hand-grinded in Thailand that they take so long to manufacture.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:05 PM   #162

This is fun!! I'm doing my best to learn how to work the camera in manual mode, which I feel will take years and years... But it sure beats point and shoot, makes you feel more like "hey, I did that"!!! I wanna see more pics of what the rest of you are doing. This is the one I like best of my own pics so far:
Attached Images

Mooshie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 9:28 AM   #163

Mooshie2,

That is one AWESOME photo!! Did you use a tripod? Tell me in 5 (or more) EASY steps how you made the photo. I just got my D50 and I'm dumbern' dirt on taking photos with it.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:22 AM   #164

Well thank you! Yes, I did use a tripod. I also read up a little on taking waterfall pics. Basically it's all about using a long shutter speed, and doing it when it's getting dark or on a clouded day, or it will be too bright to get that little white "candy floss" effect on the water. I think filters can solve that issue, but that's still too advanced for me. I guess this is what I did:

1. Mount camera on tripod in a good postition and set it to manual.

2. Set the aperture at a pretty high number (which means smaller or so it seems) to let as little light as possible in. In this case F16.

3. Set the slowest shutter setting possible while checking the exposure meter (or whatever it's called, the one that looks like this in the viewfinder: -----I-----), in this case it was 1/8".

4. Use thetimer function to avoid camera shake from pressing the shutter release.

5. Check the lcd to see if it turned out like crap again... I think 2/3 of the pictures did...!
Mooshie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:03 AM   #165

Mooshie2,

Thank you very much for the information. You certainly explain things well.

I am so inexperienced with my camera that I have barely passed the "On" "Off" phase.

I took a couple photos today and when the lcd screen lit up it only showed a VERY small picture. I've lost the LARGE setting somehow. Will have to get out the manual again.

Please take some more photos and share them.

Thank you again,

divertwo.

Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:17 AM   #166

Try pressing the ISO/thumbnail button in playback - I assume you have 4 or 9 pictures in thumbnail mode.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:29 PM   #167

Thank you keith1200rs,

I did as you said and the larger picture came up but it hasEXIF informationon top of it.

I must have accidently hit one of the little buttons.

Thank you for your help. Any suggestions on using the D50 would be Greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

divertwo
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:53 AM   #168

Pressing the up or down cursor buttons when previewing on the LCD will change the data overlaid on the image.

Then sit down with the camera and read the manual from cover to cover!

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:00 AM   #169

Keith,

I tryed your formula again and it worked. After pressing down on the ISO button I used the up arrow and the exif information went away and the larger view of photo returned.

There were three photos on the screen and it would jump from one photo to the other, but now it is back to normal, thanks to you.

Thank you so much for your help. I have the manual out and will study more today.

Sure do appreciate you.

divertwo

Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:52 PM   #170

OK, have been playing around with my D50 quite a bit. It may be that I'm missing something or just haven't read the manual carefully, but does any of you know whether one can shut off the sound the camera makes whenever it takes a picture?

Also, I would have wished the D50 had an in-built black&white effect... and maybe sepia too. It's annoying to go through PP everytime you need to get that out of a shot.

P.S. Mooshie, that is one helluva shot!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote