Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2006, 7:18 PM   #171

rodri59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:21 PM   #172

I just got the D50 about three weeks ago. This is my first DSLR. I'm thrilled with it so far. Here's a shot I got today.. this is right out of the camera using the Sigma 70-200 zoom.

bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:14 AM   #173

It is not a sound effect - it is the crash of the mirror flipping up and the bang-wallop of the shutter opening and closing and the smash of mirror crashing back down again.

It is a bit noisy. I never realised until I used a friends Olympus E1 a few weeks ago and it was a lot quieter, but then the mirror is probably a lot smaller on the E1.

Keith.

zygh wrote:
Quote:
OK, have been playing around with my D50 quite a bit. It may be that I'm missing something or just haven't read the manual carefully, but does any of you know whether one can shut off the sound the camera makes whenever it takes a picture?

Also, I would have wished the D50 had an in-built black&white effect... and maybe sepia too. It's annoying to go through PP everytime you need to get that out of a shot.

P.S. Mooshie, that is one helluva shot!
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:47 AM   #174

I miss that function of "turning off" the sound (i think it's called "museum" on some cameras....my panasonic fz20 allowed me to do this - and I liked not having the sound in many instances. Some people like the sound of the shuuter...i do prefer the quiet shuuter, but that's a small price to pay for better quality shots of the D50.

I'm still experimenting, and like most here, lots of my better shots are trial and error. But it's fun, and I'm enjoying it immesely! Just the speed alone, and the fact that I get much better indoor shots (my son's concerts, church photography) is worth the price of the D50 alone!

Be of good cheer!

mare

p.s. - Mooshie2 and Bishop- AWESOME shots! Keep it up! And hearing how you got your shots is inspiring! So glad to see that others are having fun with this camera!
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:35 AM   #175

So it's not a great shot, but it's my second favorite subject, after my new Grandson. Here's my other baby, Rocky.

SueSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:03 AM   #176

That's a great shot, Sue!
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:10 AM   #177

SueSee,

Nice Puppy. It is a Great shot. I use Paint Shop Pro. I'm using effects, sharpen, sharpen more. See if you see any difference.

Keep shooting and sharing.

divertwo

sivertwo
Attached Images

divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:42 AM   #178

Divertwo, that looks great! I generally use Photoshop Elements, but didn't think to use it on this photo. "THUNK" (Me hitting forehead)
SueSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:09 PM   #179

Well... after lots of research and reading all the great stuff you guys & gals have had to say about this camera and hitting the local stores to check it and similar cameras out, I've taken the plunge! A D50 (demo unit), a Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G Autofocus Zoom lens (new) and a Tamron f/4-5.6 70-300mm lens (also new) will be enroute Monday arriving Wednesday courtesy of Cameta (and my MasterCard, of course)!

I'm currently shooting with a Kodak Z-740 and am starting to understand it's limitations, but what pushed me over the edge was picking up my old Canon EOS-700 SLR and loving the way it felt in my hands! I'd forgotten how good an SLR feels!

Can't wait for it to get here and share some of my shots and excitement with you guys!

Geoff
phydx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:18 PM   #180

OUCH! Given that description, I'm going to cringe with every shot! :shock:

keith1200rs wrote:
Quote:
It is not a sound effect - it is the crash of the mirror flipping up and the bang-wallop of the shutter opening and closing and the smash of mirror crashing back down again.

It is a bit noisy. I never realised until I used a friends Olympus E1 a few weeks ago and it was a lot quieter, but then the mirror is probably a lot smaller on the E1.

Keith.

zygh wrote:
Quote:
OK, have been playing around with my D50 quite a bit. It may be that I'm missing something or just haven't read the manual carefully, but does any of you know whether one can shut off the sound the camera makes whenever it takes a picture?

Also, I would have wished the D50 had an in-built black&white effect... and maybe sepia too. It's annoying to go through PP everytime you need to get that out of a shot.

P.S. Mooshie, that is one helluva shot!
phydx2 is offline   Reply With Quote