Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:50 AM   #181

divertwo wrote:
Quote:
I just got my D50 and I'm dumbern' dirt on taking photos with it.

OMG im not sure if your male or female but i think we be cuzzins... howdy ...they nice folks here huh!

This is my favorite thread. The regulars that hang here... your so kind to us newbies.. Im sure i speak for others when i say we really appreciate it! The newest pics posted are outstanding ... I love to see what others areshooting!!!!

I said i was getting my camera (the new one) this week but it turned out it was the backorder on the 70-300 lens instead. Very disappointed. Will post when it does come in. Thanks again for the regs that post here and howdy to the newbies like me that I feel a connection with... *waving at cousin divertwo* lol ya'll have a wonderful day now...ya hear!

:|debby
learning_mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:30 PM   #182

Hi everyone add me tot he new D50 owners club

I have had my new D50 for a couple months but just found this forum a few days ago and have really enjoyed reading this thread. Debby you make it every interesting to read, and I love looking at the beautiful pics as well

Have been into photography for over 25 years and did a few weddings as a side business back in the 70's

I have had about 10 digital camera's and a few video camera over the years, I got started on the DSLR stuff back in Oct last year when a friend of mine told me about a digital Canon Rebel and said it was the best thing since fried bread. Well when i searched goggle for the Canon Rebels it pointed me to Steve Digicams and when i started reading i started comparing and i ended up buying a new Mazzum D5 and loved it. Until my daughter got the bug and started looking for a DSLr and found the Nikon D50. When she got her D50 I was sick of my D5 so I did what any hard working Texan would do and sold the sucker on Ebay and got a new Nikon D50 and love it so much better than any camera i have ever seen, rather than the Nikon D200 the professional Photographer was using at the wedding last Saturday night

The D200 is for sure my future new next camera.

I have not shot my D50 allot even tho Ihave been lucky enough to do a couple weddings as a side photographer.

Here are a few of my pics i did with the D50 please comment on them. i can take criticism well.

Perry

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 2:55 AM   #183

Nice shots.

I got my D50 just over two months ago and was official photographer at my friends wedding a few weeks ago:shock:. It rained all day:sad:. However, I got some good shots and he was pleased. I also had to spend a while post processing out unwanted objects from the "formal" indoor photos - there just wasn't enough room to avoid them at the time.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:34 AM   #184

TexasHillbilly,

"FANTASTIC" photography.

Would you mind telling me exactly what settings you used to make these Fabulous shots? Do you use "Auto" setting on any of your photos?

I'm new to the D50 and need all the help I can get. This is my first dslr and am so glad I took the plunge.

Please show more of your photos.

Thanking you in advance,

divertwo.

divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:33 AM   #185

learning_mode

Howdy' Cuz',

Thank God I am a male, cause' I would not want to be the ugliest female on the planet.

Hurry and take lots of good photos and then tell me exactly which settings you used to make them (right down to how many steps away you were standing from your subject). /ha/ha

Then, by following yours, and all the other Great photographers' instructions I may be able to take a fairly good picture.

I'm reading the manual but still need lots of real life instructions.

Have a Super Good Day now Cuzzin'.

divertwo

Old Jun 13, 2006, 4:38 PM   #186

divertwo

I usually never shoot in auto

I shoot in program mode 90% of the times sometimes i will move to landscape mode and sometimes sports mode and soemtimes child or portait mode, it depends on whatI am shooting, If I want a better fov i wil move to landscape for a quick shot or 2, If i want fast shutterspead iI will switch to sports mode, If i want goodskim one colors i may switch to child or portait mode. Just experment and u will see what is best for you

my pics are nothing great i just shoot them

Why do i shoot in program mode and notauto?

So i cna change some things

here is how my camera is setup in program mode, you can't set these in auto, auto means auto and program means you can program it your way.

I have WB on auto

Ihave metering set to matrix

I have AF set to spot soI can assureI am focuced as sharp asI can be

I have my optimise image set to custom/saturation for greater saturation of colors

I shoot in fine and large I have found the D50 gives me what i want without any or little post processing, I have read articles that rated the D50 color reproduction higgest of any camera available, even better than the new D200.

I frame my pics as close to whatI want it to be in the final pics as possable but I always have room for cropping, that is the beauty of high resulution camera's, They increase the zoom factor by allowing use to crop out unwantedparts.

Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:15 PM   #187
Administrator

TexasHillbilly wrote:
Quote:
Here are a few of my pics i did with the D50 please comment on them. i can take criticism well.
My biggest concern is that the skin tones look artificial, probably because of saturation settings (although the images are a bit contrasty, too). I see you had saturation increased via camera settings, so that may have played a role.

In the future, I'd probably dial back the camera settings for saturation to at least defaults (and possibly even lower, since entry level models tend to have higher settings for things like contrast, saturation and sharpness). I'd also consider dialing back the contrast so that you don't lose as much detail in the shadows and retain more highlight detail (for example, in the bride's dress in the first image).

The D50 also has custom tone curves available. So, that may be an option to explore to help retain more detail without an artificial look to the skin tones.

I'm no expert (in fact, my wife is a far better photographer than I am), and I sometimes boost the saturation and contrast in PP since most users prefer that kind of "look". But, to my eyes, it's a bit overdone in your samples for wedding photos. For casual snapshots, sure. For wedding photos, I'd probably try to go with a more natural look to the colors, saturation and contrast.

You did ask for comments. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:16 PM   #188

thnks I will play with that

I sometimes shoot in the child mode becase it gives better skin tones but i shot this wedding all in program mode

the sun was bring and I think thats what caused the over saturation and higher contrast a lot

the light was way too harsh and i did not use a flash for fill flash

thanks for the comments

Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:19 PM   #189
Administrator

Harsh lighting is tough with digital (or even film for that matter). You did a great job with the exposure considering the outdoor ceremony. I just thought I'd throw in my "two cents worth" on the skin tones (and that's just my tastes, as most users probably prefer a more "punchy" look). There is no right or wrong... It's all subjective.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:33 PM   #190

TexasHillbilly,

Thank you for all the information. May take me a month to find all these settings but I'm sure gonna' give it a try. Thank you so much for your time.

divertwo