Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:22 PM   #201

Spent all weekend "playing" with my new D50. Two things were immeadiatley apparent.

1. I have a lot to learn.

2. The quality of the pics just blew me away.

Even in auto mode the sharpness and clarity of the images were far supeiror to the camera I had been using (5.1 MP Oly 5060). I don't know if it's the extra megapixels or the Nikon lens, but I'm impressed.

I'm looking forward to reading more posts on this forum and gathering as much knowledge about this camera as I can.

BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:19 PM   #202

I concur on both points! I've been shooting like nuts for the last week or so... here are a couple I took today in our garden after a rainfall... I adjusted the levels a bit on the first and only cropped the second. Both taken with my D50 using a Tamron 70-300mm in macro mode.

Please critique! I want to get better at this
phydx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:38 PM   #203

No need to critique this one... just wanted to share a pic of a dear friend and family member of 20 years who, sadly, we will probably be putting to sleep tomorrow. Love you, Napoleon

Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:41 AM   #204
rey

I like the composition of both, and the bokeh of the second, but... I think both are out of focus, or the depth of field are very shallow.

I took several close-up shots with my Nikon 70-300G recently, a lot of them turned out like yours. I think it's either the depth of field is too shallow, or it's just out of focus.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. You may want to post it on the "Post Your Photos" forum to get more feedback.

Good Luck!

phydx2 wrote:
Quote:
I concur on both points! I've been shooting like nuts for the last week or so... here are a couple I took today in our garden after a rainfall... I adjusted the levels a bit on the first and only cropped the second. Both taken with my D50 using a Tamron 70-300mm in macro mode.

Please critique! I want to get better at this
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:59 AM   #205

Thanks Rey! Pretty new here and will finding my way around
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:19 AM   #206

Just thought I'd post a couple of these "out of the box" photos. No great art , but they do show the range of this camera. I've heard some negative comments concerning the 18-55 mm kit lens, but personnaly I don't see what the problem is.

Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:34 AM   #207

BEECEE,

"FANTASTIC" photos. You did a Great job with your 18-55 lens. Would you be so kind as to tell me what settings you used to get these Marvelous photos? Did you use a tripod? How far away were you, etc. I would love to be able to take a picture half as good as yours.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:57 AM   #208

Thank's. Glad you liked them. These were all taken with the camera and lens set to AUTO.

The lighthouse was taken at a distance of about 100 yards. The seaport scene maybe 50 yards and the firehouse about 100 feet.

The seaport scene was taken using a circular polarizer.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:48 AM   #209

Well for the few that know my photography life history here at Steves Forum- I have been waiting for my exchange D50 to be delivered. It took 4 weeks and finally it arrived last week..can'tremember which day- Due to a major family crisis that is ongoing I have to admit that my baby has taken a back burner and just felt sick -distracted - to even open and look at the new camera.After a day withfamily prompting me -I opened the box. Darn if it wasn't the same box I sent back to the company I purchased it from. Fury -which is rare in me- had me wanting to kill someone or give a good tongue lashing for telling me they would exchange the camera and then to find the same camera which i assumed they either fix my old one or sent it back untouched *sigh* to me by mistake. I could tell it was the same box I sent off to them because I had used shredded paper in ziploc bags as packing... and it was there. The books were in ziploc bags like I packed it... So, I immediately called the company who assured me the BODY was new ... and after gettin confirmation from Nikon where i had signed up warranty -that the serial number I originally wrote was different .. I guess it is a new body. Just think it was strange they did it that way and not sent the whole new box with new camera and stuff.. weird.

:whack:Lesson here: Write down serial numbers of all your goodies and keep it somewhere safe. It would have helped if I had thought of that *sigh* before accusing them of lying about replacing my camera.

Weeks ago, I joined a local (30miles away)camera club. They seem really anice group. One lady has a D70 so hoping to gain some wisdom and hands on experience being with this group. Just thought I would let those wondering know I got my camera and all my lens stuff. Now to find my joy back.... I sure appreciate this site. Tho I haven't taken any pictures with my new camera yet- I so enjoy reading your experiences and those awesome photos everyone posts... definately takes ones breath away to see them...thanks for posting them ya'll.....

:bye: debby

I hope ya'll have a wonderful week!

learning_mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:26 PM   #210

Debby... does your bill of sale for the original camera have the S/N on it? How about your copy of the warranty registration?

Geoff