Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 6, 2006, 5:29 AM   #41

Hi everyone

I've had my D50 for about a week now and i think it's a excellent bit of kit.

My previous cameras were Minolta Dimage A2 and the Panny FZ20.

Well after getting the D50 its looks like they will making way for a bigger lens for the D50.
Just the speed alone is amazing I have only had one slr camera before (just remembered) and that was a Film camera Minolta Dynax 7000i but they have certainly come along way.

I have the 2 kit lens that i bought with the camera the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm and i read in another post on this forum that the G lenses are the slowest. Jeez am iin for a surpirise when i buy a new lens. I thought these lenses were fast but obviously i have no other lenses to compare them to.

aah best buy a lottery ticket and hope for the best ha haha

mark
wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:42 AM   #42

umm, can anyone tell me howdo i knowwhen a lens has image stabilization built in? i'm looking to get a 300mm lens and IS is kind of necessary.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"thank you.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:47 PM   #43

Nikon use the term 'VR' (vibration reduction) as part of the lens name i.e. 18 - 200 VR

i think Sigma do some stabilised lenses, referred to as 'OS'

I am not aware of tamron doing any form of image stabilisation
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:35 AM   #44

Congratulations Norm!!!

Overall I think the camera is great and I`m glad I bought it.Today I took back the 70-300 G lens ,it was too big and clunky and I wasn`t all that impressed with it.I`m looking for an everydaywalkaround lens ,but i`m on a budget, maybe a 28-200 or 28-300 tamron XR,I haven`t really looked at the options yet.????

TommysDad

Last edited on Mon Feb 20th, 2006 08:40 pm by tommysdad

hi

you looking for tamron 28-200xr ?

heres a great place and price 149

:|http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...ku=TM28200XRNA

automaton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:56 PM   #45

Well I did it! I am also a new D50 owner. I received mine today at my work and I was the envoy of the place. I've never had a slr of any kind so I can only hope I can learn to use this thing. LOL

Darrell
doitnthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:18 AM   #46

Nice 1 Darrell, congratulations.The kodaks will now be gathering dust :G.Which lens package did you get?

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:42 AM   #47

18 55, 55 200 kit. I think I can learn with these, I haven't even taken a picture yet, lol just been reading the manual. I'm about ready to read it again lol. I'll probably be reading it a few more times before I get it. I'm a slow learner.
doitnthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:25 AM   #48
rey

Quote:
18 55, 55 200 kit. I think I can learn with these, I haven't even taken a picture yet, lol just been reading the manual. I'm about ready to read it again lol. I'll probably be reading it a few more times before I get it. I'm a slow learner.
The first time I took my D50 out, I was standing in front of a nice vista point overlooking the sunset, camera propped on a tripod, people watching me like I'm Ansel Adams, and I was reading the manual trying to figure out how to meter the bright sun. :lol:

Have Fun!
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 8:59 AM   #49

:GHi ya'll! Im new to this site and just ordered my Nikon D50. Very much in the learning mode as you can see. Can hardly figure out which side is the eye piece *twirls hair*. I love this site. Have spent a week onhere... since I surfed and found you folks! I ordered mine thru Ebay and there was a 98% satisfaction with the company. Will write more if I ever get it .... I hope i wasn't burned. Just wanted to say hi and thanks and... ya'll talk real slow now.. Im not the sharpest crayon in the box *lol* wahooooo hurry up UPS!!!! Now...where is that little send button!!!
learning_mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 9:07 AM   #50
Administrator

learning_mode wrote:
Quote:
:GHi ya'll! Im new to this site and just ordered my Nikon D50. Very much in the learning mode as you can see. Can hardly figure out which side is the eye piece *twirls hair*. I love this site. Have spent a week onhere... since I surfed and found you folks! I ordered mine thru Ebay and there was a 98% satisfaction
Good Luck. You have to be careful buying Nikon from Ebay vendors. Some of them have been known to sell gray market cameras (not intended for sale in the U.S.).

Sometimes they try to imply a U.S. manufacturer's warranty with statements like "U.S. warranty" (which could mean a store warranty versus manufacturer's warranty). So, you have to read the fine print carefully and research the vendor's reputation.

If you buy a camera that was not intended for sale in the U.S. (often these have the best prices on Ebay and at internet vendors), Nikon USA will refuse to service it, even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

Cameta Auctions has a good reputation on Ebay.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote