Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:59 AM   #11
rey

There may not be new cameras, but the prices has certainly changed as the PMA approaches, maybe because of competition. But beachcamera.com is now selling the 20D with the 18-55 kit lens for $1,189.00! That's the price of the D70s (yeah with better lens) just a couple of weeks ago. Either way I'm just waiting for PMA before deciding what to buy.

The lens is a good issue though. I like the D70s' kit lens (18-70mm) and I don't think there is an equivalent Canon lens at that price. They have several 28-xx, but that's not wide enough. They also have the really nice 17-85 IS USM, but that cost $500+.

One thing I did notice is that Nikon lenses are more likely to come with a lens hood than Canon's.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:11 PM   #12

I am not qualified to give you technical advice as the pros here are but I will pass on the advice I have benefited most from:

1) Handle the cameras and make the decision on what feels best. Yes, they are made of the same things XT versus D50/D70s, etc. which is all my budget could afford. But, the Nikon felt better to me. Take those menus into consideration likewise for making a decision. This too is part of the feel. Some of the features on the D50 require holding down a button and turning a dial to set. Sure, I wish it were a one-touch change in some cases, but I am also not uncomfortable making this adjustment with two fingers. Much of this specific comment applies only to this lower end model and you appear to be considering much higher end models, but regardless, there is something like this at all levels I believe.

2) What kind of pictures do you want to take? People, places, things? Comment from a salesperson at a local shop on Canon XT versus Nikon D50. Take it for what its worth and I am not offering it as fact, just a drop in the bucket. Paraphrase, 'the photographer at the the XYZ location of our store will only use Canon, because he does portrait work and the Canon processing gives softer images revealing fewer blemishes. I prefer the Nikon because it tends toward more vivid colors.'

#2 may just be some salesperson blah blah but I knew I wasn't taking people pictures and was already leaning toward the Nikon, so I went Nikon.

Also, check out Steve's reviews with comparative photos of similar cameras XT/D50/D70 or whichever models you are looking at. Likewise, other comparative photo side-by-sides, might be found such as these:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...T_images.shtml

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page22.asp

As to growth, I think you will have growth potential with quality accessories and glass in either brand. Only if you are looking at something like the D50 do you have to consider lack of ability to add a grip or multiple flashes. Ultimately, it all boils down to what you like and can afford. And, the body becomes almost incidental in cost once you start investing in good glass. You won't go wrong with either.

Good luck and happy shooting,

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 4:58 PM   #13

Quote:
As to growth, I think you will have growth potential with quality accessories and glass in either brand. Only if you are looking at something like the D50 do you have to consider lack of ability to add a grip or multiple flashes.
Actually, by using the SB800 speedlight, one can cantrol multiple flashes with the D50. Granted this is more expensive and adding multiple flashes make the D50 more expensive than the D70 which can control the SB600 and Sb800 with the onboard flash, but noenetheless it is possible.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:19 PM   #14
rey

This is probably going off topic from this thread, but anyone know what Nikon's plan is for CCD sensor, now that Sony is in the dSLR market with their Konica Minolta purchase? Does Sony have a Full Frame CCD in the works, and if they do, would they share that to Nikon now that they are competitors in dSLR market? In the short term, the answer to that is "yes" Nikon just sells too many dSLR for Sony to ignore, but in the future, I wonder if this relationship is sustainable.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:34 PM   #15

rey wrote:
Quote:
This is probably going off topic from this thread, but anyone know what Nikon's plan is for CCD sensor, now that Sony is in the dSLR market with their Konica Minolta purchase? Does Sony have a Full Frame CCD in the works, and if they do, would they share that to Nikon now that they are competitors in dSLR market? In the short term, the answer to that is "yes" Nikon just sells too many dSLR for Sony to ignore, but in the future, I wonder if this relationship is sustainable.
Without Nikon Sonycan not be number one ccd maker. There must be many companies out there who are ready to get the big chunk. Sony will never let it go.

Full Frame ccd is a sales gimmick, one of the main reasons I do not want to by Nikon D200 is it's 10MB sensor.6MB sensors are just what I need.

The reason Canon and Nikon are the two companies we talk about is because of their lenses. For point&shoot Ishall always buy Sony because theyhave good lenses. Butfor DSLRit willbe verydifficult fora third company to join the club.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:11 PM   #16
rey

I think FF is more than just a gimmick, one of the main argument for it is you get a better wide-angle. There are not a lot of affordable wide-angle lens out there for cameras with 1.5x or 1.6x crop factor. I would rather have a FF 8MP than a 10MP APS-C. But that's just me.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:54 AM   #17

I shot for years with Canon gear. AE-1, A-1 and the "Tank" T90. But when Canon went to all auto focus, they left me behind. None of the FD lenses were compatible with the new auto focus system. When I decided to go to a DSLR, I thought I'd try Nikon simply because Nikon didn't leave their dedicated customers in the dust. Poor reasoning? Maybe. Both Canon and Nikon have their strengths and weaknesses. Do your research. Go to a dealer and handle the cameras you're interested in. Half the fun is the anticipation of the purchase. Enjoy. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:33 PM   #18

I have just gone through some similar tribulation - though my decisions were between the Nikon D50 and the Olympus E500. It was so close between them. However, in the end, i went with the D50 because I reckoned the bigger sensor would give me the cleaner image at high ISO, which I anticipate using quite a lot.

My research shows that high ISO is one area that Canons D350 has an advantage over the the D50. however, i didn't fancy the Canon kit lens - so I bought the D50.

I have upgraded from a canon IS S2 and was not sure just how much i would gain from the upgrade, but even after justa few shots, I can see quite clear improvements in the image quality of a DSLR.

I agree with some of the above posts that once you get to this level of camera, they are all good, your actual preferences will come down to more minor points, it may even be just simply which one feels best in your hands. Good luck with your choice, from following several forums, it is a decision that many agonise over
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:43 PM   #19

Getting back on topic; what are the real differences in Canon and Nikon DSLR systems at the midrange (like 20D and D200)? Here is what I gathered so far from different posts:

1. 20D is better in low light situations with less noise

2. D200 is sealed so you can take pictures in rain

3. D200 has better flash system (i don't understadn this one at all. may be someone can enlighten me on it)...:?

4. D200 has banding problem but 20D does not

5. Canon has more lenses to chose from.

6. 20D is at a better price point with not much lost in features.

7. D200 has betterdirect access buttons for featuresand they are easier to select (don't have to go through menus)
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:04 PM   #20

DSLR development is going fast. Matching different models by comparing cameras with equal prices may not be the right way to do. Every time a new model come out it was always better and lower priced.

I think Canon 20D should be compare to Nikon D70s and Nikon D50. Nikon D200 should be compare with Canon 5D.

It is the same as comparing personal computers. You can not compare last year models with today models.

I did compared Canon 20D with Nikon D50/70 before I decided on the D50. The decision was finally made by the comparison of Canon 100-400 and Nikon 80-400 lenses.

harana wrote:
Quote:
Getting back on topic; what are the real differences in Canon and Nikon DSLR systems at the midrange (like 20D and D200)? Here is what I gathered so far from different posts:

1. 20D is better in low light situations with less noise

2. D200 is sealed so you can take pictures in rain

3. D200 has better flash system (i don't understadn this one at all. may be someone can enlighten me on it)...:?

4. D200 has banding problem but 20D does not

5. Canon has more lenses to chose from.

6. 20D is at a better price point with not much lost in features.

7. D200 has betterdirect access buttons for featuresand they are easier to select (don't have to go through menus)
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote