Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:28 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 238
Default

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
I think Canon 20D should be compare to Nikon D70s and Nikon D50. Nikon D200 should be compare with Canon 5D.
I beg to differ. Here are the prices for body only from BHphotovideo.com:

Nikon: D70s - $899; D50 - $549; D200 - $1699

Canon: 30D - $1399; 5D - $3194.

Looking at these price points the closest camera in Nikon line to 30D is D200. Are you saying Nikon line is giving more value for the money? I am sure many people will disagree with you.

So going back to my 7 point of comparison I can use some input from the folks here on the forum.

harana wrote:
Quote:
Getting back on topic; what are the real differences in Canon and Nikon DSLR systems at the midrange (like 20D and D200)? Here is what I gathered so far from different posts:

1. 20D is better in low light situations with less noise

2. D200 is sealed so you can take pictures in rain

3. D200 has better flash system (i don't understadn this one at all. may be someone can enlighten me on it)...:?

4. D200 has banding problem but 20D does not

5. Canon has more lenses to chose from.

6. 20D is at a better price point with not much lost in features.

7. D200 has betterdirect access buttons for featuresand they are easier to select (don't have to go through menus)
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:32 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
ruchai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 287
Default

When Nikon introduced the D50 it became aturning pointin the history of DSLR. Unlike any DSLR before it, D50 was designed to be able to take pictures as good or better than any other DSLR in the market. It was priced so low every one could afford.

Nikon can do this by aiming at huge number of photographers ready to jump to DSLR from point & shoot cameras. Nikon makes the D50out side of Japan with much lower labour cost. You are making a mistake to say that you get what you pay for for DSLR of today.

It wont be long before Canon will come up with comparableone on both performance and price. Sony, Samsung, and many more will sure join the gold rush.

Buy the newest models and you will get a better DSLR for less.

D50 has all that is necessary to make top notch pictures. You may not get the bells and whistles but you get the machine that can do the job. Pay more if you want a toy to play with. I am thinking of getting a D200 as a backup, It's my dream toy. It will not make me a better photographer, I know.

harana wrote:
Quote:
ruchai wrote:
Quote:
I think Canon 20D should be compare to Nikon D70s and Nikon D50. Nikon D200 should be compare with Canon 5D.
I beg to differ. Here are the prices for body only from BHphotovideo.com:

Nikon: D70s - $899; D50 - $549; D200 - $1699

Canon: 30D - $1399; 5D - $3194.

Looking at these price points the closest camera in Nikon line to 30D is D200. Are you saying Nikon line is giving more value for the money? I am sure many people will disagree with you.

So going back to my 7 point of comparison I can use some input from the folks here on the forum.

harana wrote:
Quote:
Getting back on topic; what are the real differences in Canon and Nikon DSLR systems at the midrange (like 20D and D200)? Here is what I gathered so far from different posts:

1. 20D is better in low light situations with less noise

2. D200 is sealed so you can take pictures in rain

3. D200 has better flash system (i don't understadn this one at all. may be someone can enlighten me on it)...:?

4. D200 has banding problem but 20D does not

5. Canon has more lenses to chose from.

6. 20D is at a better price point with not much lost in features.

7. D200 has betterdirect access buttons for featuresand they are easier to select (don't have to go through menus)
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 5:23 AM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
Default

There is in fact plenty of difference between Canon and Nikon.

Canon has more IS lenses than Nikon VR. Canon has VR in 500 and 600mm lenses. Nikon none.

Canon has far better service than Nikon. If you don't believe me, just askk owners. Read this thread:

leeraff wrote: [/b]


Quote:
Admit, similar post in Canon forum. Wanting a NIKON perspective.

Apple versus PC's. Coke versus Pepsi. East Coast versus West Coast. All issues that get some people into PASSIONATE debates. But, Canon versus Nikon? I have no feel, no justification as to why I'm leaning towards Canon.

New to DSLR and committing to it as a long term hobby. Had mentally committed to Canon 20d then learned of need/desire for all the lenses, battery packs, etc. Thoughts turn to starting with more affordable Rebel XT and acquiring more accessories to start. Grow into hobby and upgrade camera later. Debate is always, invest twice or just get nicer camera now and grow into it. (BACKGROUND: Found Canon Rebel XT to hit a better cost/benefit sweetspot than anything from Nikon. Pre-D200, the 20d definitely stood alone. NOW with D200 out there, I'm really in quandry.)

My main point... Committing to one or the other Canon model, I then spoke with Nikon owners who advocate some particular Nikon benefits, more universal lenses, etc. Seems to me Nikon is less into the marketing and image (Canon's Andre Agassi, Maria Sharapova, sexy, sporty, active lifestyle, etc). Is Nikon putting more resources into what really counts?

I seem to keep being drawn to Canon but can't say why? Can anyone help me understand why most in this forum (I assume) advocate Nikon? Any former Canon users explain why they have moved to Nikon? Any unhappy with move? What I'm really trying to understand is more than just a Nike vs Adidas feel or Coke versus Pepsi taste. What else is considered? Canon seems to me to be a better marketer, but does that make it a better camera. (Of course, not)

Finally, not looking for the ole, what are you going to use it for answer. Looking more for the Apple versus PC debate for Nikon and Canon. Guts. Benefits. Thanks for any feedback.
jdougher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:37 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
mlhm5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 121
Default

The 18-200mm VR is reason enough to go with the Nikon if you are not a pro.

Save some money, buy a D50 plus the 18-200mm VR and you will have everything any non pro could want in a combo for less money than buying a D200 or 20D body.
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:11 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
big_potato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 487
Default

Interested analogies:

"...Coke versus Pepsi...."

But the diff lies in that for Coke vs Pepsi, you do NOT have to RE-INVEST anything, except for your taste buds.

Buf for Nikon vs Canon, if you have been any one of their users already, you HAVE TO RE-INVEST virturally everything, including you price-less photographic skill sets.

Just my stupid opinions.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:39 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
ruchai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 287
Default

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
Interested analogies:

"...Coke versus Pepsi...."

But the diff lies in that for Coke vs Pepsi, you do NOT have to RE-INVEST anything, except for your taste buds.

Buf for Nikon vs Canon, if you have been any one of their users already, you HAVE TO RE-INVEST virturally everything, including you price-less photographic skill sets.

Just my stupid opinions.
Not always true. Iused to have Nikon film cameras with many expensive Nikkor lenses. I switched to point and shoot digital cameras since Casio marketed the first such camera nearly 20 years ago. I bought my first DSLR, the D50 hoping to be able to use some of those Nikkor lenses. None of them will fit the D50. Don't believe them, you will have to throw away all those expensive lenses after a few years of use.


ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:03 AM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 78
Default

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
big_potato wrote:
Quote:
Interested analogies:

"...Coke versus Pepsi...."

But the diff lies in that for Coke vs Pepsi, you do NOT have to RE-INVEST anything, except for your taste buds.

Buf for Nikon vs Canon, if you have been any one of their users already, you HAVE TO RE-INVEST virturally everything, including you price-less photographic skill sets.

Just my stupid opinions.
Not always true. Iused to have Nikon film cameras with many expensive Nikkor lenses. I switched to point and shoot digital cameras since Casio marketed the first such camera nearly 20 years ago. I bought my first DSLR, the D50 hoping to be able to use some of those Nikkor lenses. None of them will fit the D50. Don't believe them, you will have to throw away all those expensive lenses after a few years of use.


Hi ruchai, i thought you could buy an adaptor for it to work...but it just means you have to manually focus it
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:25 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
ruchai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 287
Default

wisely_foolish wrote:
Quote:
ruchai wrote:
Quote:
big_potato wrote:
Quote:
Interested analogies:

"...Coke versus Pepsi...."

But the diff lies in that for Coke vs Pepsi, you do NOT have to RE-INVEST anything, except for your taste buds.

Buf for Nikon vs Canon, if you have been any one of their users already, you HAVE TO RE-INVEST virturally everything, including you price-less photographic skill sets.

Just my stupid opinions.
Not always true. Iused to have Nikon film cameras with many expensive Nikkor lenses. I switched to point and shoot digital cameras since Casio marketed the first such camera nearly 20 years ago. I bought my first DSLR, the D50 hoping to be able to use some of those Nikkor lenses. None of them will fit the D50. Don't believe them, you will have to throw away all those expensive lenses after a few years of use.


Hi ruchai, i thought you could buy an adaptor for it to work...but it just means you have to manually focus it
I now have two new Nikkors, 80-400VR with D200 for birds and Micro-Nikkor 60mm with D50 for macro. Why manually focus superb D200and D50?

See my D200 photo here:




Attached Images
 
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:49 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
zygh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 531
Default

i agree with mlhm5. one of the main advantages of nikon is that it delivers the goods for the lesser buck. to some of us, that is more important than having 'canon' written on our cameras.

now, don't getme wrong. i am talking here about the semi-pro, more affordable models. i don't really think that canon 350D is an entry level dslr when it comes to pricing and the present market, but the nikon D50 is and its results are more than comparable to those of the 350D. that is a fact and because of that i can't really see the reason one should pay more for the canon. now, i hope you won't say that the extra megapixels is reason enough because another fact is that the ones that buy the entry level dslr are not going to print their photos at poster sizes. so, the thing is that for the money you pay for the canons you get the nikons and a few kit lenses. nothing too fancy but everything an enthusiast photographer needs. bare in mind, i'm not talking about the pros. that's a whole new differentcheese cake.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:14 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
mlhm5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 121
Default

OK I am a Nikon guy but am considering a Canon purchase because of one lens. Well I own a FZ20 plus a bunch of film Nikon stuff, mostly from the 70 and 80's and need an upgrade.

Considering the D50 plus a few lenses or the xt plus a few. Ran across a comment by ken rockwell regarding the Canon 10-22mm in which he says it is better and cheaper than the Nikon wide angle zoom the 12-24.

I like the D50's size but am leaning toward letting the lens make the decision. After all shouldn't that be the deciding factor all other things equal?

OK Nikon owners, start stoning me.


mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.