Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2006, 7:27 PM   #31

I also came from FZ20 and film Nikons. When I decided to go DSLR I was also comparing the lenses from Nikon and Canon. I was choosing between Nikon D50 and Canon 20D but I also decided on the lenses. I mostly photographing birds so I was choosing betweenNikkor 80-400VRand Canon 400 F5.6. I decided on the Nikkor for it's compactness and better workmanship.

mlhm5 wrote:
Quote:
OK I am a Nikon guy but am considering a Canon purchase because of one lens. Well I own a FZ20 plus a bunch of film Nikon stuff, mostly from the 70 and 80's and need an upgrade.

Considering the D50 plus a few lenses or the xt plus a few. Ran across a comment by ken rockwell regarding the Canon 10-22mm in which he says it is better and cheaper than the Nikon wide angle zoom the 12-24.

I like the D50's size but am leaning toward letting the lens make the decision. After all shouldn't that be the deciding factor all other things equal?

OK Nikon owners, start stoning me.

Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 9:15 PM   #32
rey

Quote:
Considering the D50 plus a few lenses or the xt plus a few. Ran across a comment by ken rockwell regarding the Canon 10-22mm in which he says it is better and cheaper than the Nikon wide angle zoom the 12-24.
While I was shopping for DSLR as recent as three weeks ago, it came down to the XT and D50. And I also read that Rockwell article. My main interests is landscape photog so a wide angle for the DSLR played a big part on my decision. In the end I decided to go with D50 and save up for the Tokina or Sigma. NHL showed me some nice shots from his Sigma, so the Canon lens was not convincing enough for me.

The body size of D50 was also a factor, as I've used the XT for more than a month on 5-hour hiking trips, and found it hard to hand-hold when using a heavy lens (I had my friend's 24-85mm USM on it). Also I was able to buy the D50 with 18-55 kit lens and 70-300 lens, all new for $680, I couldn't find a deal for the XT that came close to that.

Good Luck.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote