Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:29 PM   #1

Admit, similar post in Canon forum. Wanting a NIKON perspective.

Apple versus PC's. Coke versus Pepsi. East Coast versus West Coast. All issues that get some people into PASSIONATE debates. But, Canon versus Nikon? I have no feel, no justification as to why I'm leaning towards Canon.

New to DSLR and committing to it as a long term hobby. Had mentally committed to Canon 20d then learned of need/desire for all the lenses, battery packs, etc. Thoughts turn to starting with more affordable Rebel XT and acquiring more accessories to start. Grow into hobby and upgrade camera later. Debate is always, invest twice or just get nicer camera now and grow into it. (BACKGROUND: Found Canon Rebel XT to hit a better cost/benefit sweetspot than anything from Nikon. Pre-D200, the 20d definitely stood alone. NOW with D200 out there, I'm really in quandry.)

My main point... Committing to one or the other Canon model, I then spoke with Nikon owners who advocate some particular Nikon benefits, more universal lenses, etc. Seems to me Nikon is less into the marketing and image (Canon's Andre Agassi, Maria Sharapova, sexy, sporty, active lifestyle, etc). Is Nikon putting more resources into what really counts?

I seem to keep being drawn to Canon but can't say why? Can anyone help me understand why most in this forum (I assume) advocate Nikon? Any former Canon users explain why they have moved to Nikon? Any unhappy with move? What I'm really trying to understand is more than just a Nike vs Adidas feel or Coke versus Pepsi taste. What else is considered? Canon seems to me to be a better marketer, but does that make it a better camera. (Of course, not)

Finally, not looking for the ole, what are you going to use it for answer. Looking more for the Apple versus PC debate for Nikon and Canon. Guts. Benefits. Thanks for any feedback.
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:38 PM   #2

In all honesty - there's no right answer I think.

If you have a fair bit of canon gear - it makes sence to get a canon camera.
If you have a fair bit of nikon gear - it makes sence to get a nikon camera.

From starting out new - either camera company make very very good cameras in the same markets who will provide many many smiles to the people who buy either / or make's models.

The best way to decide canon v nikon is to go in and see how you find it. Have a feel about the camera and a look around the menus - then you'll know which one you want.

There is no definative "better" make / camera from the two.

That's my pathetic contribution.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:35 PM   #3

There is no right answer. Fit, feel, menu navigation are all very important. You will et great images from either camera system, and at this level of camera the photographer is more important than the equipment as the differences between equipment is very slight. I prefer Nikon primarily for the build quality and feel of the cameras.....this goes back to the film days. I also had Nikon gear from the film days which made the choice very easy. I also think Nikon's flash system is better. Canon is more media savy, and certainly does a better job marketing their cameras. I also think Canon has more variety in lens choices and more pro-level lenses. Honestly though i can't comment on Canon's system because I don't use it.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:09 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Fair answers. And none pathetic.

Some of the answers I feel I'm getting are
--Canon better at speed. Nikon better at lower light
--Canon plastic connection b/n camera and lens. Nikon metal. (Although I don't know if I've seen this.)
--Nikon better feel in camera even at lower end of market.
--Menus... VERY subjective!
--Canon more lenses. Nikon more compatibility across digital, film and different price points. (Have had contradictory answers here.)
--Nikon pays sales reps(?) Canon does not. Canon advertises like hell and has sexier image.

Any knowledge to kill these? Or add fuel to the fire?

Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:59 PM   #5

leeraff wrote:
Quote:
Thanks guys. Fair answers. And none pathetic.

Some of the answers I feel I'm getting are
--Canon better at speed. Nikon better at lower light
--Canon plastic connection b/n camera and lens. Nikon metal. (Although I don't know if I've seen this.)
--Nikon better feel in camera even at lower end of market.
--Menus... VERY subjective!
--Canon more lenses. Nikon more compatibility across digital, film and different price points. (Have had contradictory answers here.)
--Nikon pays sales reps(?) Canon does not. Canon advertises like heck and has sexier image.

Any knowledge to kill these? Or add fuel to the fire?
I don't think any of these statements true across the board. I don't think it possible to generalize across a whole line of bodies and lenses. Low light performance is dependent on speed of lens mostly, and high iso performance secondly which is different from camera to camera. Build quality is also somewhat subjective, as the more you pay the more you get regardless of brand. Speed is also a toss, as some cameras perform better than others even within a brand.

I'm not quite sure the object of you post....it almost seems as if you want to start a fight between the two camps. Really, the hardcore aficionados have been duking this battle out for years, and will continue to do so. And in reality, its silly.....just like comparing mac to PC, coke vs pepsi and the others brand wars you've mentioned. Buy the camera that you think is right for you based on your shooting style and how it feels in your hand. I use Nikon, I love nikon, but thats because it works for me. Overall, my opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans because every photographer is different. My hobby is photography, and I've been fortunate to be able to make a little money off it on the side...my hobby is not being a nikon hardcore defender trying to convert the masses to use the brand I prefer. I'd rather look at an image from a good Canon photographer than a bad photographer that shoots Nikon.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:26 PM   #6

rjseeney,
Not at all. No battles whatsoever. My interest is completely sincere. Review these quotes...
--Wanting a NIKON perspective.
--I have no feel, no justification as to why I'm leaning towards Canon.
--New to DSLR
--NOW with D200 out there, I'm really in quandry
--I then spoke with Nikon owners who advocate some particular Nikon benefits
--Can anyone help me understand why most in this forum (I assume) advocate Nikon?
--Thanks for any feedback.

After a day of hitting several stores and several conversations, I AM realizing you just eventually have to pull the trigger. I DO believe D70 comes with a much better lens than either of the Canon products mentioned. I DO believe the Rebel case is viewed as more flimsy (at least feel). I do see more favorable reviews for the two Canon products BUT I do hear more advocacy for Nikon in stores and local clubs. It's tough!

When beginning a hobby and starting a sizable investment, it's like trying to find a good doctor, dentist, lawyer or plumber. Many of us don't like to go in blind. So, we ask around even if a few see our questions as combative. Thanks to all for feedback so far. Newbie is learning a lot with your help.

P.S. As far as combatative, see my registration date. I think that falls under "new/green."

Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:16 AM   #7
rey

Actually, I think people here are very fair minded. They don't have the time or care for an argument between Canon vs Nikon that you would find in discussing Linux vs Windows. So "advocate" is a strong word. I've been following both Canon and Nikon groups and that's my observation. Just like you, I haven't decided what camera to buy, but what I've found out is that you cannot go wrong with either Canon or Nikon systems. Its like buying a family sedan: Toyota or Honda?... the answer is "Yes".

My suggestion is you figure out what budget you want and then compare what Nikon and Canon camera fit that budget, and compare those cameras. As far as accessory and lens, a lot of people use 3rd party lens and they all come in Nikon and Canon lens mount, and are usually priced identically. Also, do you really care that the Nikon lens fit film SLRs? I don't.

So instead of Nikon vs Canon, research about "Rebel XT vs D50 vs D70s"; or "20D vs D200 vs 5D" Depending on your price range.

In my case, I was looking for entry level dSLR so anything higher than D70s was out of my budget. I was initially leaning on the Rebel XT but after buying it from Costco and taking it to a couple of hiking trip, its smaller body when used with a heavy lens, bothered my hand as the camera tend to lean down more when I shoot. I returned it. Had the XT have the same body size as the original Rebel it would have been a keeper. People think its outer-body is flimsy, but it's made of polycarbonate plastic just like the D50 and D70s, it just has a smoother finish, rather than a textured one. And they all have steel frame inside and metal lens mount. But if you compare it with a magnesium-alloy body, then yeah it's not as good.

I'm now eyeing the D70s or a Rebel XT with a vertical grip for a bigger (and heavier) body, but I am waiting for PMA at the end of the month to see what Nikon and Canon has to offer.

But if you really want to hear negative experiences about Nikon or Canon, you should try posting in the Olympus group and ask them why Olympus is better than Nikon and Canon, and then do yourself a favor and buy a Nikon or Canon. :-)

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:30 AM   #8

Quote:
I'm now eyeing the D70s or a Rebel XT with a vertical grip for a bigger (and heavier) body, but I am waiting for PMA at the end of the month to see what Nikon and Canon has to offer
I doubt you'll see any new entry level DSLR's from either Canon or Nikon anytime soon. The D50 was just released last summer and the Rebel is fairly new too. You may see something in time for Christmas especially in regards to the D70s, but it will be a little more expensive, staying in the $1000-$1200 range.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:03 AM   #9

I do not think there are much differences between Canon and Nikon. It's the brain behind the camera that what make good pictures.

I chosen the lenses before I decided on the camera body. It is the lens that really count. I bought a Nikon D50 because I thought Nikkor VR-80-400 is the best lens for bird photography available. I comparedit with Canon 100-400 and went with the Nikon.

You should also look at services available in your area. In my case Nikon do give better services than Canon. But my decision was made on the more suitable Nikkor lens.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:14 AM   #10
DBB

Both companes make fine machines. Buying any of their models will leave you happy. I would actually go into a store and "Handle" them and buy the one that feels more comfortable then the others.

When I was faced with your decision, there were actually only a fewe machines to choose from, and real technical differences between them - such is no longer the case.

Enjoy! you''l be happy with whatever you buy.

If I had only one piece of advice it would be to avoid the kit lenses and buy some good glass.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote