Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:35 AM   #1

A friend of mine is offering me A new Sony DSC-R1 for the price of D50 with kit lens,
I was set on buying the D50 until this? Should I take? i know its a stupid question on a Nikon Forum but I also posted the same Question on Sony sight just to get some Pro's and Cons. To help me decide. I have seen and held bought Cameras. and Sony wins handsdown on build quality (my opinion).

I'll just be using it mostly on family gatherings and Activities.

No Major investment on NIkon except for the 3 lenses from my old N70 Nikon film SLR
(Nikon 50 1.8, Sigma 28-200 and 70-300 Apo the old version with Gold rings
and an SB-27 Flash).

Thanks in Advance

taolang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:20 AM   #2

that sony R1 is a nice camera, no doubt, I think youd get some great pics with it.

Thing is your tied into it with no upgrade path for lens/attachments.

I too personally tried out the R1 and although I agree its built nicer in terms of style, Im not sure its build quality is better. My D50 is more rugged and could withstand more of a battering than the delicate R1. Also a OVF vs EVF is a no brainer, D50 hands down on that one.

For many people the R1 will bridge the gap of P&S to dSLR, but ultimately dSLR will be a more rewardingphotographic experience.

audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:12 AM   #3

The R1 has a very good len, with a 24-120 lens.
I think the R1 costs roughly the same as the D50 with the excellent Nikon 18-70 ( 27-105 equiv ) lens.
I think you've got to give the lens to the R1 though because of the larger range.

If you want fast shooting performance ( espcially in RAW ), then the Nikon D50 wins out by a mile. The R1 takes ages with RAW shots, and is generally much slower.

Also the D50 gives you far less noise and excellent 1600 iso for large prints. The R1 is a bit rubbish at iso 1600, although it does give ( an even rubbisher ) iso 3200; for small prints they probably ok though. I think the R1 800 iso is noisier than the D50 1600 iso.

The R1 has much greater resolution though. The R1 is likely to get more detail ( @ 400 iso and below and possibly 800 iso ). If you print above A4 this extra detail will be visible, and if you don't you can crop more!

I don't you should consider the dust an issue, because it only factors in if you consider the flexibiliy of multiple lens's, which the R1 doesn't have anyway.
In otherwords compare the D50+Good Lens vs R1.
thegremlinlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:18 AM   #4

Sorry forgot to say:

Nikon D50 build is excellent, and I reckon it'll take a knock better than the R1. Maybe the R1 feels better in your hand though.

As for the lens's. Well you've got some decent one's in there, so me personally i'd just get the D50.

thegremlinlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:29 AM   #5

After reading so many reviews, posting questions and asking suggestions on which camera to buy. I have finally decided to get myself a Nikon D50 with the kit lens, and let me tell those guys who are still in the same situation as I am about a week ago, you cannot go wrong with the D50 for its value and performance. You cannot truly appreciate its qualities until you have owned and trully used this camera (not used and testing it in camera store) there is still no replacement for real wolrd test and experince. Kit lens is good enough for its value, fast focus (suddenly my SLR film focus becomes very slow) and the color just pops even on its default setting and its vertaully noise free up to 800 and even at 1600 it is still good enough for me (my Dimage A1 suddenly becomes noisy even at Iso 100). i just love this camera and it gave me an appreciation to my old lenses.

Thanks to you guys
taolang is offline   Reply With Quote