Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:48 AM   #1

I'm seriously considering buying the D50, for it seems like an all around good photography tool. I wanted to get some suggestions from you (the knowledgable forum of photographers) on what lenses and accessories would best fit my needs. Here are the things I am wanting:

Basics:
D50 Body - $500
1 GB Sandisk Ultra II - $60
Tripod - (cheap eBay one)
IR Remote
Camera/lense bag

Lenses:
1) Walk-around lense (18-55mm seems like a decent budget lense. 18-70mm is a tad expensive)
2) Telephoto lense (I'd like a 70-300mm)
3) Bright prime (50mm f1.8 seems like a no-brainer)
4) Macro lense/setup (I'm not sure how well the above lenses can do macro. Reverser rings? I'd love to take good bug and flower macros.)

Budget is the most important thing here. A little distortion on the zoom lenses is acceptable. I'd just like for the pictures to look better than any P&S camera.

Suggestions will be much appreciated
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:38 PM   #2

In the UK, I saw the D50 with the kit lens for £465 BUT the same store sold a package for £630.

The packge included the D50 and kit lens, plus the Nikon 55-200mm lens (similar quality to the kit lens), a 1GB SD card and a camera bag. The extras on their own would have cost £295 in the same store, so the package saved me £130. i thought that I was getting a lot of camera for £630.

The store was doing a similar 2 lens offer on the Olympus E-500 for £20 more.

I notice that you use the dollar as your currency but would imagine that similar packages are available outside europe. It strikes me that this is one of the better ways to get some good kit for anyone on a budget.

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:48 PM   #3

I got a very very good deal on the d50 + 18-55 kit lens + gig kingston card from a photo shop in edinburgh, scotland. Buying a tele lens from there also (the sigma APO 4-5.6 70-300mm Macro Super II) and will also probably buy a nice 50mm prime. It'll all come to around £700 including a bag. (That's about $1000). I shall address my need for a SB-600 soon also.

StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:51 PM   #4

StevenC wrote:
Quote:
I got a very very good deal on the d50 + 18-55 kit lens + gig kingston card from a photo shop in edinburgh, scotland. Buying a tele lens from there also (the sigma APO 4-5.6 70-300mm Macro Super II) and will also probably buy a nice 50mm prime. It'll all come to around £700 including a bag. (That's about $1000). I shall address my need for a SB-600 soon also.
That sounds like exactly what I'm going for. When you say 70-300mm Macro Super II, what does that mean? Is that a macro lense, or is it a telephoto lense?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:28 PM   #5

It's not a true macro lens. A true macro lens makes the subject appear life sized in the image (1:1). Nikon makes several macro lenses, which they call micro lenses. There is a 60mm f/2.8, a 105 f/2.8 and a 200. They are releasing an updated version of the 105. The difference is the longer focal lengths provide more working distance from the subject (great for insects, or other skittish creatures, or adding lighting). These lenses are bulkier, and have great build quality. They can also be used for general photography, but the focus takes a little getting used to. The 105mm is about $650 new...I got mine used for a little over $400. The 60mm isa little cheaper and the 200mm is very expensive.

Sigma also makes cheaper versions of these lenses, but I can't comment on their quality.

Reversing rings work ok, but have extremely limite DOF, must be used with tripods, and bright light. They also expose the rear element to potential harm.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:48 AM   #6

So will the 70-300 be able to take good macros, even though it isn't a "true" macro lense? Would a close-up lense help me here?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:55 AM   #7

I have no experience with that lens. Reveiws that I have read claim its soft, especially over 200mm (not suprising, most 70-300 are) and build quality is poor. Macro is 1:2 (1/2 life size). Some reviews are good, some not so good. I would expect average to below average results, based on the softness of this lens.

If you're really interested in macro, I would get a dedicated macro lens. You can find a usd Sigma 50mm, or even a 90mm for a little over $100 on KEH. They will have better build quality, and more importantly be sharper, which is important in macro. the 90mm gives almost twice the working distance as the 50.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:35 AM   #8

I've noticed that the Panasonic guys are getting excellent results by using a closeup lense and the huge zoom on their FZ cameras for magnification. I've been wondering if the same can be done with SLRs.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:19 PM   #9

What you want for that is extension tubes and a macro mode.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:05 PM   #10

How do I do that?