Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:23 PM   #1

Now that everybody knows that Nikon intentionally takes away the lighting of the top-panel LCD, to differentiate it from D70s.

I am thinking of a workaround:

Can we draw power from the USB port to lite an LED placed near the LCD???

Questions:

1. Is the USB always ON and does it deliver 5V power?

2. Any damage to the port by drawing power from it for prolonged time?

3. What's the pin-spec of the mini USB connector?

Or would it be better simply drawing from the battery directly? Can 3.7V lite an LED?

Thanks!

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:26 PM   #2

I don't find this to be as big of a deal as I initially thought. Most of the exposure info is in the LCD or can be set by menu. Besides, I'm rarely shooting in a condition where the LCD isn't visible.

If this is such a big issue why not just get the D70 rather than trying to rig a solution??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:45 AM   #3

Thanks for suggestions!

But I've got the D50 already (about US$200 cheaper than D70s). And D50 is a little big lighter (540g vs 600g). Among many omissionfeatures (originally in D70s), I found th missing LED illumination is a bit inconvenient.

I meant when I use the manual shutter/aperture, I want the values to be visible. And I take a lot of night shots.

So does anybody have any further suggestions about the USB and/or any illumination power sources???

Thx!
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:47 AM   #4

I came from rangefinder era. My Leica lllf does not have any light at all. I been using it for years. Professional photographers of the era also use the Leica. It has no battery and make consistent sharp pictures. My D50 is actually has too many bells and whistles but it produce just as sharp pictures as my old Leica.

Do not waste your timeon thosesmall details which may detract you from making good pictures. Remember "less is more".D50 has all the necessary features to take sharp photographs. You can pay more but you will not make better pictures. Use the camera more and you will get used to those features.:-)

Attached picture taken with D50 + Micro-Nikkor 60mm.

Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:44 PM   #5

I have Photon microlight 2 hanging on the neck strap, not the most elegant thing but it works.
Only problem comes when i want to use controls that require both hands, then there is no hands left to aim the light.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 2:45 PM   #6

I know that the D50 doesn't have a top LCD light but is the viewfinder display not lit either? If it is lit then the aperture and shutter speed are displayed in the viewfinder.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:31 PM   #7

Viewfinder is lit and it shows the aperture and shutterspeed.
Sometimes i just have the camera positioned so awkwardly that it is difficult to look trough viewfinder.
And i prefer not to use the back lcd for viewing the settings for WB, metering etc.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote