Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 25, 2006, 2:01 PM   #1

I just bought a D50 with the 18-55mm lens, got a good deal at $527 so I figure I might add a relatively cheap telephoto lens. I'd like to keep the price down, nearer to $100 than $200, I'm no expert so I don't need to be tieing up a fortune in glass at this time.

I'm not sure I know enough about the topic to get something good enough for what I need without overspending. I'd like to be able to use it on a tripod for taking pictures of the birds in the woods around my house and also on the move at sporting events (and elsewhere of course). What would you recommend for a good first telephoto lens witha decent reach? I'm thinking that browsing the used merchants that are mentioned elsewhere or trying my luck on ebay. I think 80% of the time I'll be using the 18-55mm so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to get this second lens.

Any help, suggestions, advice welcomed...

Chris.
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:15 PM   #2

Chris, i bought the Nikon 55 - 200, it is very similar in quality to the kit lens. On it's own it sells at £200 but in my store, if bought at the same time as the camera, it is half that.

Perhaps, your dealer might do something similar for you
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:25 AM   #3

Where did you find the D50 kit for that cheap?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:09 AM   #4

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
Where did you find the K50 kit for that cheap?

CompUSA had it at $599 witht he 18-55 but non in stock. Best Buy had it as $699. I got Best Buy to price match to Comp USA then also had a 12% off reward points coupon that came in the mail, that took it to $527.

In theory I should get $25 in reward vouchers too from the Best Buy reward zone.

Chris.
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote