Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:21 PM   #1

I just had to make the mistake of looking into DSLR's recently !! Back when I bought my FZ15 - the dslr's were still out of my range. I see the D50 can be had for about $600 with a kit lens. I'm perfectly happy with my FZ15 - that is for outdoor use - but I am now getting nitpicky about indoor shots - especally since I did a lot of shooting indoors this winter. I noticed the FZ15 at iso200 shows noticable noise. What attracted me to the fz15 was the F2.8 lens , all the way through the zoom range of 35-420mm. Will I be that much happier with the D50 for indoor shots ? I would doubt that I would see a difference for outdoor shots - but I don't know on that. Anyone upgrade from a Panasonic fz15/20 to a Nikon D50 ? Thanks.

sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 2:32 PM   #2

I just upgraded from an FZ20 to the D70s about a month ago.* *I can't say that I have seen a difference in the ISO because I never shot over ISO 80 on my FZ20.* I can say that I now have know hesitation at shooting at higher ISO's with the D70.* I have only gone as high as 400 and can't tell any difference from ISO 200.* There are several other differences that I do notice and they are welcomed differences.* My view finder no longer blanks out while I am shooting in burst mode.* The larger senors size allows for a larger croping area.* I don't have to get quite so close to get the crop I am looking for.* There are other features I like that the FZ 20 lacked.* True through the lens view finder. A much better variety of lens choices. (now if I can only afford them)* All and all I loved my FZ20 it was an amazing camera with an amazing lens and zoom.* But, I now see that the possibilities of the DSLR are more numerous.* I have never regreted the move.* I doubt you will either.* Goold luck and all the best,* Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:53 AM   #3

I dont have a panasonic FZ15/20 but before buying my D50 I was using Minolta's Dimage A1, and I was kind of in a the same situation as you are right know, defference was i cannot decide which brand /model to take. but after finally deciding on D50,

Heres what I notice base on my observation on Iso 200 I would say that it it would equal to Iso 1600 on d50 noise, thats how good D50 is in handling noise (and from what ive read A1 has a bigger sensor than FZ15/20).

Focus speed? Lag? No contest

One thing that you would appreciate in taking indoor shots are those taken with i ttl flash very well balance. and can always shoot at natural lght if you prefer at high iso without woorying much on noise

kit lens 27-75 is good for indoor shots if that is what you plan and you can always replace it for extra tele or wider shoots
taolang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:08 AM   #4

My real concern isI don't have a fortune to spend for the lenses on the D50. Getting a lens with a F2.8 aperature for the d50 with say 18-70 zoom lens will be expensive. the kit lens 18-55 F3.5 seems like it is not a fast/indoor lens ?

The FZ15/20 has an aperature of F2.8 through the whole zoom 36-420mm. Now I realize the sensor is much smaller on the FZ - but giving up the F2.8 and compensating with the ISO setting of the D50 - I'm not sure how much I will gain with the D50 AND cheaper lenses as far as pic quality. Now if I could afford the best lenses for the D50 -then I know that would be the winning combination, but I am hesitant on buying the D50 with cheaper lenses.

Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:43 AM   #5

I had Panasonic FZ10 prior to Nikon D50 and i havent had to regret buying a DSLR.
Noise above ISO100 and AF speed were the main reasons i ditced the FZ10.
Surely i miss the constant apereture ultra zoom with Mega OIS but one cant have it all.

D50 + 18-55 kit lens will do lot better in low light than Panasonic,
you can bump the ISO up to 1600 and images are still usable.

D50 + Tamron 28-75 F2.8 is quite affordable combination but its not wide enoug for all situations,
to cover the wide end i can recommend Tokina 12-24 f4 which is not that expensive either.
Fast primes are the best solution but i prefer zoom even it means some loss of image quality.

Beware once you buy a DSLR you will be constantly buying new equipment :-)
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:30 AM   #6

I didn't have an FZ15/20, but an FZ3 (and a Canon G2, S30, and S45) when I upgraded.

I upgraded mainly for DoF control which wasn't easy with a P&S. However, the image quality is just in a different league. ISO 800 is probably cleaner than ISO 80 on my FZ3 (or ISO 100 on the Canons). Dynamic range is just vastly expanded (I never realized how often I used to blow highlights). Skin tones, while less of an issue with the Canons, was a major pain with the FZ3. Fair skin tones I found impossible to reproduce, and it got even worse when I used a flash.

For indoor shots, a 35/f2 would probably be a good buy, and it would allow some available light photography as well, if there's some lighting. Outdoors, just get a cheap 50/f1.8 or better yet, an 85/f1.8.

The lens on the Panys might be nice, but it is severely limited by the inferior sensor. You might see the limitations on the lenses using a D50, but even cheap lenses give superior quality b/c the sensor is in a different league. Besides, the D50 will allow you to take pictures that were not a possiblity before, like action shots where minimal shutter lag and fast AF are of utmost importance, or low-light shots, where you might need f/1.8 and ISO 1600.

If you have any doubt, check out Steve's sample pictures on this site--he took them with the inexpensive kit lenses (18-55 and 55-200), and they are clearly better than the FZ15. Now also keep in mind that Steve used ISO 64 for many of the FZ15 shots. With a D50, all shots are at ISO 200 or higher, so that right there buys you 1.5 stops. Now put on an inexpensive50/f1.8, and increase ISO to 100 or 200 on the FZ15, and it's like a Go-Kart against an F1 racecar.

If you put on a good lens (not even great), even outdoors the D50 will blow the FZ15 away.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:28 AM   #7

I owned an FZ20 before upgrading to D50, and believe me, Noise differences are huge, Iso 80 on Fz20 is similar to Iso 800 on D50 and the Iso 1600 is better than Iso 200 on Fz20, besides the D50 is too fast, there's no shutter lag and the autofocus speed is impressive (at least with my new 18-200VR) - very realiable and accurate.....you can not wrong with D50, it's the best amateur DSRL ever made (Platinum DIWA Award).
afukuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:32 AM   #8

Nikon 5mm F1..8 can be had for around $100 or less..... should take care of your "low light" worries.
TheeBadOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:41 AM   #9

TheeBadOne wrote:
Quote:
Nikon 5mm F1..8 can be had for around $100 or less..... should take care of your "low light" worries.
Nikon 5mm ??

Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:00 AM   #10
Administrator

sportster64 wrote:
Quote:
TheeBadOne wrote:
Quote:
Nikon 5mm ??
He probably meant the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 (D).

KM, Nikon and Canon all make a similar 50mm lens that's light, sharp and bright.

For some users, that's all they ever got for their 35mm cameras (a bright and sharp 50mm).

But, on most of the entry level DSLR models, this lens appears to be longer (because the sensors in these models are smaller than 35mm film). So, a shorter primie can be preferred in some conditions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote