Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:15 AM   #1

I just bought a Nikon D50, it's my first SLR or DLSR. My friend loaned me a Tamron lens that he uses on his D100 and DX2 without problems. I attach the lens to the D50 but the camera will not fire when it's attached. Is there a setting I need to switch to in order to use aftermarket lenses? Thanks in advance.
Karsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:32 AM   #2

It should work just fine. Is there an error code in the top LCD?
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:55 AM   #3

Ensure the lens is twisted so tht t locks in properly and the lens release button clicks up. If the lens has an aperture ring ensure that it is set to the smallest aperture, largest number.

If the lens works on a D100 or D2X there should be no reason it will not work on a D50.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:25 PM   #4
DBB

Nagasaki wrote:
Quote:
If the lens as an aperture ring ensure that it is set to the smallest aperture, largest number.
The above is the most common reason a lens wont fire.

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:42 AM   #5

I borrowed a friend Nikon D100 body so I could test out my Tamron 28-200 XR (IF) Zoom lens before buying a D50. I wanted to see how the lens perfored. Seems the D100 has a bit of trouble with dull (not bright or contrasty pictures with 0 EV setting) pictures and I shot in raw to get a better grip on the final picture. The lens works very quick on this camera for focusing and I think does a pretty good job of image quality. This particular lens ( the XR ) is made with eXtra Refractive glass and has corrections for most aberration. I shoot a Nikon F3 film camera and which is an older manual camera. This lens is one of the new CPU designed lenses and with the contact points, allows to work on automaic Nikon camera bodies. About the only difference between this and some of the lenses made for digital, is they have an extra coating (special) on the back element to reduce flare and reflections off the sensor. If I don't shoot into the sun and get flare I should be pretty safe. My daughter had a friend over the spend the night and I took a picture of them. Sammy (daughter) is on the left in the blue shirt. Just turned 12 day before picture taken. What is your take on the picture for clearity?

Attached Images

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote