Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:15 PM   #11

i just read in the canon forum that there will be some form of rebate in spring for canon and nikon cameras? is this true for nikon? have you heard anything about it? tia =)
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:33 PM   #12

hi

i got mine at beach camera and paid 560 w 28-80mm lens

free ship

i bought a 1gb 80 transcend card fron newegg for 37 w rebate:O

i just got a tamron 28-200 xr for 149 from beach also
automaton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:16 PM   #13
rey

hey joeybob...

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear cameta is legit, sorry about the packing issue. I'm sure boxed cameras have a tolerable amount of banging it can take. I have a couple of question about what you got:

1) What brand is the extra battery? I'm sure it's generic, but are there serial or model numbers that would reveal its source?

2) Is the bag the same as the Nikon bag found in those Nikon starter kits? Like here and here? Is it well padded and would you trust your camera with it? I'll probably buy a holster type eventually, but I'd like to know if this one is usable.

Thanks again for sharing us your experience, and have fun with your new camera!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:36 PM   #14
Administrator

Cameta is legit. I didn't bother to read this thread earlier, or I could have told you that. ;-)

I don't like their web based payment system (but you can call in your payment instead after you win an auction, and just reference the ebay listing number and they can apply it).

I've bought from them multiple times, and everything has always arrived in perfect condition, just as their listings specified. They're a good source for some lenses (especially refurbished ones), with bargain prices compared to many other vendors from time to time if you are a careful bidder in their ebay auctions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:36 PM   #15

I also got the D50 kit in HK for around the same price as joeybob. But my kit did not have any memory card/reader. Are you sure it was CF card? (D50 uses SD).

The kit-lense of D50 has many limitations, only 18-55mm, and aperture is narrow f/3.5.

Has anybody got a "kit" with a better lense e.g. the 18-70mm of D70s?

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:30 PM   #16

Sorry,

Would have replied sooner - but was busy running kids to basketball games and such today... Rey, the exter battery is a CTA DB-ENEL3/A SN# S0511A.

The bag - It says nikon but I have never seen or held one of the Nikon bags from that Nikon kit in the links you posted... It is a nice bag, well paded, has a total of 5 compartments w/velcro adjustments, seems pretty well constructed- yeah I'd trust my camera in it - it's in there now...

Hello Jim - I don't think there wasa web based payment - they take a credit card via an 800#. I'd imagine if anyone was worried about getting the shaft that you could get one of those temp #'s from your credit card company and that would work - I wasn't worried - did quite a bit of research on Cameta B4 I made the decision to purchase w/them.

Big-Potato - yes - the original post was a typo - got a 1GB SD card (and a usb 2.0 reader) I am really impressed w/the speed of the 2.0 USB reader!!

Haven't posted any pix from the D50 yet - will do so soon.

joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:53 PM   #17
Administrator

joeybob wrote:
Quote:
Hello Jim - I don't think there wasa web based payment - they take a credit card via an 800#.
Yep, they have (or at least had one, unless they've discontinued it within the past few months). It was bad(didn't automatically include the shipping charges right, etc.). You got to it via one of the e-mails they sent you. Even after using it, I called to make sure it was going to work OK.

If they discntinued the old online payment option, that's a good thing. :-)

It's easier via phone with them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 4:51 PM   #18

I live near cameta camera and can tell you that they aretop notch . they sell alot on ebay but you can trust them .
donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:03 PM   #19
rey

Thank you all for you feedback about cameta, especially to joeybob for even mentioning this store. I just put in an order with them, hopefully things work out fine.

Yeah, they don't have an online payment system, you have to phone-in to pay. The recording machine you hear, while on-hold, actually says something like: "Our service is low tech, but our cameras are high-tech".

The guy didn't try to pressure me with anything. He just suggested three things: a memory card, filters and cover for the rear LCD, I declined them all after asking him for the price, and he said that was okay. Anyways, I'll get me stuff in ten day, hopefully.

Here's what I got:

Nikon D50 body (new)
Nikon 18-55mm (new w/ 5yr Nikon USA warranty)
Nikon 70-300mm (new w/ 5yr
Nikon USA warranty)
Nikon bag

It didn't came with an extra battery, USB reader or SD card, but I got these for items for $680, plus $19 shipping, so $700 total (no tax for CA). Cameta had hundreds of combinations for D50, D70s and RebelXT, I had to put dollar amount on misc items and calculated bang-for-the-buck. In the end this was the best I could find (I had the package priced for $160 more than what I got it for). I thought the shipping charge was too much for UPS ground, but that's alright.

I really wanted the Nikon 18-70 lens and cameta has a package that includes D50, 18-70mm, bag, battery, usb reader and cleaning kit for $790. That was my second option but I think I'll add the money I saved to my "Tokina 12-24mm fund", which I hope to get in a couple of months. I have an old tripod, but I still need the 50mm f1.8, cleaning kit, LCD protector, etc, and I'll use my Costco rebate coupon for the SD card.

Anyways, I'll update you all when I get the camera.

Thanks!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:16 PM   #20

I purchased a Nikon N80 kit a couple of years ago from Cameta, and was satisfied with the purchase. Calling in was bit inconveinant, but there was not pressure to buy extra stuff. You have to be careful of getting caught up in a bidding war though...you can end up overpaying if you're not careful.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote