Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:14 AM   #1

Hello,

Just made a purchase the other day on my 1st DSLR. I have had several digicams - started out with a casio QV 100 years ago. Then upgraded to a canon A50. A couple of years back I made a purchase on a canon G3. I have had the same 35mm Nikon FG20 for 20 years or so and have used it off + on for that long.

Now, I bought the FG 20 with a 70 - 300mm zoom for about $300.00 a long time ago. The casio - I bought as a floor model at a Sam's club for $100.00, The A50 set me back $500.00 for a whopping 1 megapixel and the G3 ran me about $500.00 only 5 years or so after that. I bought the G3 on line - all others were in store deals.

So I am ready for another upgrade (read - I miss the options of my 35mm SLR but like the flexibility of the G3) + made the decision to go w/the D50 after reading multiple reviews and going to local camera stores and fondling diferrent cameras. The D50 reminds me of my faithful FG 20.

Anyhow, here is what I got for $650.00:

Nikon D50 Digital SLR Camera Body - Black

Nikon 18-55mm AF-S DX

1GB 80x Transcend CF card

spare EN-EL3 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack

USB 2.0 High Speed card reader

And a bunch of other little goodies... all shipped for $20.00. All items new. Bought from Cameta Camera in NY via Ebay. Due date to arrive is today from the UPS man.

Next purchase will be a few new lenses but I have to sneak those in gently (due to a certain female in the house - if you know what I mean.)

Will update once I get my new camera...

Just curious what everyone else is picking thier cameras up for - Seems like the price of this camera + others keep coming down...
joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:25 AM   #2
rey

Looks like good prices, they must have bought a ton of those camera bags, wipes, and other stuff they bundle in. The extra battery looks generic, hopefully it works fine and doesn't blow up on you.

The store seems legit. I rarely buy stuff from eBay, which is funny since my friend works for them. Anybody else have experience with this store? I was set on buying from Adorama, beachcamera or B&H, but maybe I'll take some time and checkout eBay stores as well.

Keep us updated of your purchase...

Here's a question to everyone, is there a place (website) or a number where we can check if a store is a legit authorized reseller? I'm looking for Nikon and Canon stuff, and if I'm not buying from Adorama, beachcamera or B&H, I'd like to check first. thanks.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:50 AM   #3

Hi Rey,

Not sure if you are aware of this site: Resellerratings

I know it may not be exactly what you are looking for but it has been great for me when deciding about any online purchases.

This linkhowever, should be exactly what you are looking for. I think the guys I purchased from have been around for quite a while.

The brown truck should be arriving today... Will keep you updated.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:43 AM   #4

joeybob wrote:
Quote:
Anyhow, here is what I got for $650.00:

Nikon D50 Digital SLR Camera Body - Black

Nikon 18-55mm AF-S DX

1GB 80x Transcend CF card

spare EN-EL3 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack

USB 2.0 High Speed card reader

And a bunch of other little goodies... all shipped for $20.00. All items new. Bought from Cameta Camera in NY via Ebay. Due date to arrive is today from the UPS man.

Next purchase will be a few new lenses but I have to sneak those in gently (due to a certain female in the house - if you know what I mean.)

Will update once I get my new camera...

Just curious what everyone else is picking thier cameras up for - Seems like the price of this camera + others keep coming down...
That's a really good deal.
I got the D50 w/18-55 kit lens for $595. So basically for $50 more you got 1gb card, spare battery, and a card reader. Excellent.

EDIT: I see that you are getting a 1gb SD card, the D50 uses SD cards. Maybe it's just a typo.
RE1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:08 AM   #5

Oops - yes I am getting a SD card - I must have had some kind of mental block and was subconciously thinking about one of my canons that takes CF?

And that kind of brings me back to why I posted this subject...

When I bought my FG 20 years ago - I thought it was expensive. But I'd have to say that I have gotten my $300.00 out of it over the past 20 years or so.

But - the A 50... I paid ~$500.00 for that roughly ten years ago. When the battery door hinge on it broke - that's part of the reason I spent another $500.00 on the G3. The G3 has definately made me happy for $500.00 I have taken thousands of pictures with it both in auto "P+S" mode as well as in manual modes. I decided to go with a DSLR because I have kids - and they are on the move. The G3 just cant keep up - even in continuous mode I feel like I am missing shots.

Anyhow, what I am hoping is that the money I've spent on the D50 - doesn't turn out to be like the money that I spent on the A50. I feel like that camera was an in between thing - an experiment from canon. At the time when I bought it it seemed like a good thing but it wasn't long - and the prices of cameras with better resolutions + options started coming out - at the same price I paid!!!

So maybe what I am questioning is "value"? Granted, I suspect that the money I've spent in the last 10 years going 99%digital would probably have been spent on film + developing but what do you all think about the "value" of DSLR's?

I look at some of the "pro" DSLR's - many of which are several years old - but they still cost 3, 4 and 5 grand. Do those cameras still hold the same value ? I am by no means intending to "pick on" anyone's camera - I am simply wondering about the value issue(s) concerning today's DSLR's.

Any comments?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 1:13 PM   #6
rey

I tried typing "cameta camera" on resellerratings before posting last night, and it didn't show up there, silly me didn't try just "cameta".

Anyways, it does sound like a good deal, when you get the product, let us know if it did include serail numbers, upc bar code and other proof that it is not a gray market product. Thanks!

The "value" issue should not be an issue at all. Don't expect high resale values on them. The way to calculate value depends on what kinda pictures you get from the camera. So use it a lot, and learn better photog techniques.

I actually grabbed 15 (that's right, 15!) photog books from our local library. A few of them are old, and applies to film cameras, but the shooting techniques, composition and visual practice stuff applies to any camera. I grabbed wide angle books, portrait books, an of Ansel Adams portfolio books, national parks and othe nature stuff. I figured since I will no longer use a point-and-shoot camera, I should stop my point-and-shoot habit and be more artistic.

I'm hoping to replace all my national parks poster in my room with landscape shots that I took! Also, take portraits shots of family and friends, instead of going to the Mall and paying $$$ to Picture People or other portrait stores...

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:00 PM   #7

Cameta is a very good seller. I've purchased many things from them...never had a problem. My latest purchase was a factory demo Nikon 18-70 DX ED IF...$175 USD....love it. I got my D50 for $700.00 USD w/ kit lens from a Canadian retailer 2 months ago.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:15 PM   #8

I payed £459 for mine with 18-55 lens, thats $804 usd, everythings dearer in the UK:sad:. £459 was the best price at the time though.I gotit insilver , the black model was nearly £100 dearer for the same camera + kit lens.:O:O

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:47 PM   #9

Well,

The UPS people did their job and my package from Cameta arrived as scheduled at 4:00 PM yesterday. Everything seems to be in order. Camera and lens kit, 1 GB 80X Transcend SD card, extra battery, Camera bag, SD USB card reader and a few other goodies all showed up. All serial numbers match + the camera works well.

Only problem seems to have been a shipping/packaging issue. The box that Cameta used was a little on the large side - roughly 2 ft x 16" wide x 12" tall. The D50 kit box and the Camera bag tookup a good portion of the space inside the box and they seemed to have wrapped those 2 items with a layer or two of bubble wrap. So there was some space in the box unaccounted for.

Now I've heard that the boys at UPS have a thing for not being the gentlest with packages. My box (the outer box) was dented, a lttle ripped and the tape holding it shut was somewhat torn. The box did not appear to have been opened but I was on the verge of calling Cameta and trying to send it back.

I opened the box (the rest of the way) and was pleased to see that the D50 kit box was in great shape - the camera bag was on the side of the box w/the dent. I paid $20.00 for shipping - this looks more like they should have paid me $20.00...

Now I am going to post a reply feedback on Ebay for Cameta but I am also thinking about posting feedback on Reselleratings.com- I may also attempt to link to this post/photo:

Overall, I am pleased with the D50. Overall, I am not so pleased with the shipping job from UPS and the packaging job (for $20.00) from Cameta.

I'll be posting more about the camera shortly...

Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:52 PM   #10

Best price quoted £529 - fora black D50 body and an 18 - 70 lens. Having shopped around for an eternity, I'm going to buy it from a small chain of shops in the north of England, who are selling it as a package.

Now all I have to do is wait until Nikon deliver to the business!

PFM
Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote