Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:58 PM   #11

heres some tamron zoom shots from a novice:|

automaton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:25 PM   #12

Excellent looking shots! I have the Tamron 28-200 XR (IF) zoom that I use on my Nikon F3. I've been a great fan of Tamron and the newer lens I have shows great details and contrast prints. I really could not be happier with the Tamon with the F3. ...so.. I am thinking of getting the Nikon D50 to go along with my Fuji S9000. I was always wondering about the Tamron lens and how well the 2 of them (Nikon D50) would play together. It appears they get along just fine!

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:25 PM   #13

ill also post some newer shots

so far i love my camera and my lens

1 shortcoming of lens seeks and sucks in low light:?
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:47 PM   #14

I've borrowed a firend of mine's Nikon D100, and put my Tamron 28-200 XR (IF) Zoom lens on it to try it out. I have mixed feelings about it. Either the lens is not up to snuff, or the Nikon D100 is having issues. I noticed that Doug has some small "spots" on the imager, so there must have been some time he had changed lenses and gotten some small dust down in there.

I'm finding I have to up the EV from 0 to +1.0 EV to come out with a decent shot. Even then it has difficulties. I was taking somes shots at the beach (Lake Michigan) today and it would not let me take a picture when I wanted to. There was a green dot on the left and an EV light on the left that blinked. Now, I had it set to +1.0 EV stop and had to push in on the EV lock on the back to take a picture. Some pictures I took in flash with it's built in flash turned out very dark at 0 EV setting and got better when I increased to EV of .7 or 1.0

Anyone else experience this low brightness with the Tamron 28-200 zoom?

Perhaps if I tried a different Nikon camera body like the D50 it would work better. He has 2 bodies (Nikon D100) and I wonder if there is a difference between them?
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:32 PM   #15

The Winemaker,

two issues--the lens, honestly, isn't the best. You might be seeing limitations that you couldn't see before when you were shooting film. Second, the D100 is known to produce subpar (mostly dull, underexposed) JPEGs. You'll need to PP your pics a bit to get the most of it (or better yet, shoot RAW).

The D50 takes much better JPEGs (better than the D70 as well). It, too, however, will probably show you the limitations in contrast and sharpness of that lens, but the pictures should be nowhere close to that dull.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:49 AM   #16

I did have to do some PP on the Nikon pics. I took similar pictures with the Fuji S9000 at the time and they came out well exposed. There is a difference between cameras as to how they render blues of water and sky.

Here is a shot of the chickens at normal +- 0 EV

Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:50 AM   #17

And a few seconds later at the setting at +1 EV

Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2006, 2:59 PM   #18

some more tamron pix

:|

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...486788#p486788