Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:18 AM   #11
Administrator

IExif can show shutter actuations.

After right clicking on an image, you'll find it under the Advanced Tab in the Maker Notes section (about 4 fields from the bottom of the list).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:05 PM   #12

I heard that, for really fast shutter e.g. over 1/500 sec, they may use electronic shutter (analog switch to control the on/off of the sensor), instead of mechanical shutter blades.

Would that improve the shutter life?

Ido NOT worry because D50 is rather low-cost, and I agree, by the time (perhaps 3 yrs), it should be obsolete enough for me to find excuses to replace it ) )

But I am still interested to know the ***REPAIR COST*** for the shutter, just in case.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:46 PM   #13
rey

Someone who posted here before said that Nikon would replace shutters for $150 to $200. I don't know if they would guarantee another 50K actuation though.

On another forum, somebody said that when he dropped off his D50 for shutter replacement, the Nikon tech-guy told him the D50 usually lasts 15K to 20K actuation. And that continous shooting could make it fall quicker.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:27 AM   #14

So according to the Nikon engr saying of D50 has about 15K to 20K shutter actuations, it's about 1/6 to 1/5 the life of that of D70 as reported in another topic below?

"My D70 has died!"

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=58

If it is real, then my D50 having taken 1500 shots in less than 3 weeks, has approached 1/10 of its life
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:37 AM   #15
rey

The D70 issue is different. They have their blinking green light of death problem, which I assume is electrical. The pin problem was mechanical, but probably design issue. I've worked for a company that uses PCMCIA cards, which has similar male-female connectors as CF cards, and those pins really shouldn't bend, unless Nikon skimp out on a plastic railing/shielding that cost pennies.

I assume people are interested with shutter actuation numbers because it is the main moving part inside the camera, even in the film SLR days.

I hope Nikon had learned from the D70 problems and improved things with D50 and D70s.

I spent about $1000 the past 24hrs for a Nikon D50 system, so this talk of shutter and camera life is scaring me, and they haven't even shipped my camera!

Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:43 AM   #16

I haven't heard any issues with early shutter failures from the D50. Even at 20k actuations, you're still talking 10 shots per day for 5 years. This camera was designed for amateurs who typically will not be using the camera on a daily basis. Entry level film slrs's were designed the same way....so this is not a new issue, or unique to DSLR's. If you're using your camera daily, or for professional work under tough conditions, then the D50 is probably not the camera for you.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:54 PM   #17

i am just wondering, so by shutter acutations are we talking one flip of the mirror or what?
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:00 PM   #18

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I haven't heard any issues with early shutter failures from the D50. Even at 20k actuations, you're still talking 10 shots per day for 5 years. This camera was designed for amateurs who typically will not be using the camera on a daily basis. Entry level film slrs's were designed the same way....so this is not a new issue, or unique to DSLR's. If you're using your camera daily, or for professional work under tough conditions, then the D50 is probably not the camera for you.
I got my D50 in July last year, over 8000 shots now. I think it will become obsolete before I shall have shutter problem. Very likely I shall have a new camera and use this one as a backup and my D50 will then be less used. With the rapid improvement in digital technology the chance of shutter failure is slim. I think camera like the D200 with fast burst speed will have less life expectancy than the D50.

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:02 PM   #19
rey

Quote:
i am just wondering, so by shutter acutations are we talking one flip of the mirror or what?
The "shutter" is the shield in front of the CCD. A lot of people confused the mirror as the only object blocking the CCD, I don't know if that's what you're thinking. But each time to take a picture, the mirror and the shutter flips up. So they are the main moving parts of a DSLR. The shutter, I assume moves at a much faster rate (up to 1/4000th of a second), and so it tends to break faster.

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:06 PM   #20

"...The shutter, I assume moves at a much faster rate (up to 1/4000th of a second), and so it tends to break faster...."

But at that rate e.g. faster than 1/1000 sec, I think they may be using "Electronic Shutter" i..e. NOT mechanical.

This is bcoz it was reported that D50 uses both mechanical (as this topic is all about) and electronic (just to control how long time the charge will be collected from the CCD) shutters.