Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:06 AM   #21

the d70 uses both mechanical and electronic also. plus the d200 i believe is suppose to have a double shutter blade for longer life...
saraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:13 AM   #22
rey

Good point on the CCD electronic shutter, which begs the question: why can't they use JUST the electronic shutter, therefore removing another moving parts? I mean, it must be faster to synch electronic signals than a mechanical shutter blinds, right? I have the D50, but I haven't tried locking the mirror for cleaning, so I don't know what it looks like inside. Now I'm beginning to questions if there really is a shutter that moves out of the way, or if the mirror is the only moving part inside.

Can somebody clarify this...:?

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:57 AM   #23

I got my D200 four days ago. I was playing with the D200 at the Nikon dealer, tested it with Nikkor 80-400VR which is the lens I use the most for birding. The focus speed of the 80-400VR with the D200 surpriced me so much that I bought the D200.

I think the focusing motor of the D50 was not designed for heavy 400mm lenses. I had my D50 since July last year and more than 8,000 shots (mostly with the 80-400VR). Every thing is still running strong but I think if any thing will go wrong it willbe the focussing motor.

With the D200 for the 80-400VR and the D50for the60mm macro I hope the two great cameras will live with me forever.

My first D200 picture, no different than those taken with D50, focus was faster though.:-)
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:02 PM   #24

is the focusing motor not in the lens on the VR lenses?
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:46 PM   #25
rey

I also kinda got that impression, what he probably meant was the D50's focusing algorithm was slow to tell the lens that it's in focus, so it should stop seeking. While the D200's algorithm was better.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:51 PM   #26

I believe the auto-focus motors are INSIDE THE LENSE MECHANISM.

Bcoz I could NOT find any mechanical power transmission between the DSLR body and the lenses.

All you see are about 5 electrical pin contacts.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:43 PM   #27

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
I believe the auto-focus motors are INSIDE THE LENSE MECHANISM.

Bcoz I could NOT find any mechanical power transmission between the DSLR body and the lenses.

All you see are about 5 electrical pin contacts.
The AF-S lenses have motor in the lens. The 80-400VR are the older version of auto focus lens, what Nikon call AF, does not have motor in the lens.

I think Nikon assume that few D50 owners will use old AS lenses with the camera. And all new auto focus lenses from Nikon are now AF-S. But I had nearly 9,000 shots with the combination without any problem. It just focus very slow with the heavy lens.

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:09 PM   #28

rey. There are blades inside the d50 in front of the snesor. I have to open them to blow off dust.

Rob
neekak9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:51 PM   #29

rey wrote:
Quote:
I also kinda got that impression, what he probably meant was the D50's focusing algorithm was slow to tell the lens that it's in focus, so it should stop seeking. While the D200's algorithm was better.
I think it's the heavy pieces ofglasses in the big 80-400VR that make focussing with relatively small motor had to gerared up so slow. The travelling distance for those glass is also longer than standard lenses. Actually I can hear it grind while moving those glasses. I do not have problem with Nikkor Micro 60mm which is also not an AF-S lens.
Attached Images

Old Apr 1, 2006, 9:34 PM   #30

rey wrote:

"...why can't they use JUST the electronic shutter, therefore removing another moving parts? ....."

I think simply because mechanical shutters are better, more clear-cut & crispy actions than electronic shutter which is prone to noise & leakage current ...etc.

BTW - having shot over 2500 pictures in just over 1 month, it just became a little bit of concern to me now.

If the report of 15~20K is true, I may have chance to be the pioneer (hopefully within warranty period ))

Anyway I think US$150 for replacement of shutter is acceptable, provided they will use brand-new component, and fix the failure (if any) completely. Afterall I am a environmentalist, and don't want to dispose a device simply bcoz of a single component.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote