Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:30 AM   #1

I presently own the Nikon D50, which I love very much. All my pics are in JPEGs with little to no post processing with prints of 4x5" and 8x10". I really like this DSLR and 99% of the time I use it with the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens as my carry -everywhere camera.

I'm now considering getting the D200 for more serious work and keeping my D50 as a carry-around DSLR (along with 18-200mm VR lens). For someone who has been using the D50 for a little under 1 year (about 10 months now), is it a big learning curve when moving up to the D200?

Some features I really like about the new D200 include:
- faster AF
- 11 AF points
- 5 fps
- battery grip with two batteries
- illuminated top LCD
- larger/brighter back LCD

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2006, 3:59 PM   #2

agiaccio wrote:
Quote:
I presently own the Nikon D50, which I love very much. All my pics are in JPEGs with little to no post processing with prints of 4x5" and 8x10". I really like this DSLR and 99% of the time I use it with the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens as my carry -everywhere camera.

I'm now considering getting the D200 for more serious work and keeping my D50 as a carry-around DSLR (along with 18-200mm VR lens). For someone who has been using the D50 for a little under 1 year (about 10 months now), is it a big learning curve when moving up to the D200?

Some features I really like about the new D200 include:
- faster AF
- 11 AF points
- 5 fps
- battery grip with two batteries
- illuminated top LCD
- larger/brighter back LCD
Just a few answers to your points above

Faster AF

Do you find the AF on the D50 particularly slow? If so bear in mind the lens can have a large effect on AF speed. Personally any AF speed problems I've had have been few and far between.

11 AF points never used any one other than the centre on my D50 all I do is focus half press the button and recompose or use the focus lock button and recompose mind I do mainly landscape and portrait work.

5 fps very rarely use the "motor wind" on my D50.

You can buy a battery grip for the D50 but it is 3rd party and no portrait shutter button still the battery lasts for ages and I always carry a spare so I cant't see the point in adding something that just increases the weight.

Lit LCD panel about the only thing I wish the D50 had.

Larger Screen yes please! brighter never had a problem with the D50 one if anything I turned mine down as it was not showing a correct "exposure" on the default setting. If by brighter they mean it works better in direct sunlight then that may be nice.

The D200 is a very nice camera is it worthyou spending 2 times the price of the D50 I don't know. But personally I would want a lot more than 10 months of use out of a camera before ditching it for something just for a better feature count. If you are convinced that the D200 will enable you to take a better picture then go for it but I seriously doubt it will.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 5:05 PM   #3

I agree totally with your remarks concerning the difference between these camera apart from one thing......the D200 isn`t twice the price but it`s more then 3 times the price of the D50.

I can get a D50 for 469 euro and a D200 for 1600 euro (body only)
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:04 AM   #4

With many more features that you will never use mean there are more things to go wrong. Why not leave well enough alone?

I had my D50 since July last year more than 8000 shots. Every things going well and I am getting more familia with the controls. I used to hate having to push a button and turning the wheel to set some thing but now I get used to all those.

I see no reason to change. It will not make better pictures as it's the lens that make sharp pictures not the camera.

I am happy with my D50 and will not exchasnge it with any other camera. See my picture taken with D50 and MicroNikkor 60mm. I rather use my time taking pictures than learning to use a new camera when ever Nikon bring out a new one. I bought the D50 to take pictures and I think it still can make great pictures. I shall buy a new one when it fail to do the job not when a new model come out.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:50 PM   #5

i agreed with the features you like about the d200. i also love being able to take b&w pictures in camera. i also like the feature of having 4 menus a,b,c, and d, and being able to set different settings that you use from time to time. you can set them up in one of the other menus and just switch to that menu when you want to set the camera up with new settings, very fast.
saraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:33 AM   #6

You can buy a D70s plus another 18-200 VR for the cost of a D200 body.

If you don't care about complex histograms, and having a plastic camera really does not bother you, why bother to go with a D200?

There are some advantages of owning a D50 like weight, battery life, faster flash sync and cost.

Buy some more lens like the 12-24mm if you are lookiing for additonal flexibility.

mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 5:56 PM   #7

I testedD200 with Nikkor 80-400VR at the Nikon dealer and found that it focus faster than my D50 did. I was so impressed that I bought the D200.

I found out that the camera is well built and many features are worth the extra price. Faster focus with 80-400VR that I regularly use for birds is enough reason for me.

I was mistaken to think that extra features in the D200 will not give better pictures. It is not so. Features like you can save RAW files without compression will certainly give better datas for the final pictures. Many more to learn, the instruction book is not as good as the camera. I am finding my way and shall let you know later.

I still think that D50 is more than adequate for most photographers.

My first D200 picture.
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:54 AM   #8

I have read that D50 and D70(s) focus slower than D200 when an "screwdrive" lens is used, D200 simply has more torque on its AF motor.
But if one wants a really fast focusing DSLR for screwdrive lenses then the D2x and D2h are the way to go.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:30 AM   #9

Shred wrote:
Quote:
I have read that D50 and D70(s) focus slower than D200 when an "screwdrive" lens is used, D200 simply has more torque on its AF motor.
But if one wants a really fast focusing DSLR for screwdrive lenses then the D2x and D2h are the way to go.
To me D200 + 80-400VR is fast enough, no complain.