Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2006, 4:35 PM   #1

I went back and forth comparing these two fine camera's and am having an almost impossible time trying to find how the D2x is worth like $3,000 more than the D200.

Any thoughts? :idea:
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:38 AM   #2
DBB

Buzzsaw wrote:
Quote:
I went back and forth comparing these two fine camera's and am having an almost impossible time trying to find how the D2x is worth like $3,000 more than the D200.

Any thoughts? :idea:
Well, I have a D2x and to answer your question, it probably ISN'T worth 3K more, UNLESS you need a really rugged camera that can take abuse in obscene working conditions...

It has quite a few minor advantages, faster FPS, much longer battery life, 2MP, but the bottom line on my machine is the durability in tough situations.

I'm still happy I bought it, but if you wish to donate a D200 to me, I will take it... :-)

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:04 PM   #3

I have both cameras and can say that both are built like a rock. When I had my D2H I thought I would need all the speed it gave me. Well, I never used the 8fps that camera would do. The D200's 5fps is fast enough for wildlife and sports. If in a war zone, than yes the D2x's size and weight does help if you need to hit someone over the head. Focus speedis in the D2x's camp, but the D200 is no joke. I did get the battery grip for the D200, and it is well worth the money. But, yes like Dave stated, the D2x has a battery thatnever wants to die. I hope Nikon can come up with a better battery for the D200 than what it uses now.

Over all picture quality between the two is a very hard call. That is where Nikon gets a pat on the back for the D200. Noise is very low at 800 ISO, but I never shoot that high anyways.

Don
regandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:13 PM   #4
DBB

Hi Don

The D2x battery life is SOOOOO good, that I am angry with Nikon for not installing a little cartoon character that announces when it's going to run low...:?:

I actually ran out of juice once, and went into catatonic shock...

I get between 1800 and 2200 shots a charge, and THAT day, forgot to bring my spare. There I stood, cursing Nikon, my friends, my Father and everyone but me....

Dave ()
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:23 AM   #5

Thanks for all the input guys, it sounds like you all have some good knowledge first hand and I appreciate the feedback.... I'm guessing a D200 is definitely the way to go and use the extra $3,000 towards the purchase of the Nikkor 600mm F4.:-) If anybody else has any thoughts they would like to add about these two camera's, please feel free to chime in. :-)
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote