Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:27 AM   #1

Sorry it'll have been asked a million times before but i need a longer lens to complement my 18-70mm. Needs to be relatively cheap right now and my intention is for it to be a stepping stone to a higher quality lens later on.

In the uk the sigma is 1.5 to 2 times the price of the nikkor.

I've been deliberating for months and can't decide.

Please help,

cheers

ps.. is the sigma front element fixed (like the 18-70) or does it rotate.
nacoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 2:59 PM   #2

I have the Sigma in question, and from all my research have found this lens to be superior to the Nikkor G lens. I found the construction to be much more solid than the G lens. While the macro is a 1:2 , it's still a feature I've found useful to have. Sadly though the front element does rotate, but this is true for most low end lenses I've seen. As for price, I got mine on sale, and it was only $20.00 CAD more than the Nikkor.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 3:49 PM   #3

The sigma. No question.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 3:52 PM   #4

i have just found out that my local jessops may have a mint condition boxed nikkor 70-300g 2nd hand for 50 quid (100 CAD). I think that is gonna seal the deal.

If all i get is half decent images @f/8 and 200mm max zoom and one half decent summer out of it then it'll be worth it.
nacoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:55 PM   #5

Sounds good at that price, you will probably get that money back when you come to sell it on say e-bay, as the lens has been going for around £70 on there.

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 4:58 PM   #6

I got the 70-300G lens in myD50 kit .I took it back to Jessops the next Day.It was very noisy and bulky.

The AF makes a loud clunking noise when searching,If your planning to use it for birding it may scare them off.

TD

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:31 AM   #7

If you are buying second hand look preferably for the 75/300 f4.5/5.6. It is an old lens but all in metal and infinitely sharper than the new lens. The AF isn't too fast but it works just fine as a travelling lens on both my D70 and D2X.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:53 AM   #8

I bought the 70-300g and never had any problems with it... I can't tell you if it's worst or better than the sigma because I don't have the sigma, but everyone should try to learn how to use the material they have before judging it

Gothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:35 AM   #9

Hi there all

Gothos cool pic of the bird

can you tell me what was the distance between you and the bird.

I've just bought a D50 with the 2 kit lens 18-55 and 55-200 and so far my pics haven't been much to write home but but that ain't the cameras fault.

did you use a tripod for these shots.

cheers

mark
wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:27 AM   #10

Gothos, totally agree about taking time to learn howto get the best out of kit. Not sure how you did it, but I also appreciate the way you got your exif info displayed at the top of the pic - it makes the pic twice as useful. That looks a hard shot, with so much sky etc and for my eyes (or at least my monitor), perhaps a tad over-exposed (yikes - what do i know !!!!)

I did have the G lens on my old film Nikon 75 and it was fine for me, though i am led to believe that it performs better on a digital body because the smaller sensor just uses the sweet spot of the lens (ie the centre), don't know if that is true, but it makes sense.

Mark, i have the Nikon 55-200 and have been pleased with it. i will be replcing mine with a sigma 70-300 but that is only because I like wildlife and the thought of getting the extra reach plus macro won me over - otherwise, i wouldbe happy to stick with my 55-200.

It gives meimagesthat have a sharpness that are fine to my eyes and i have been able to freeze a duck mid flight (at 1/1600) and retain pretty good detail.my problem is that a small bird is still a small bird at 200mm. Though I did a woodpecker at the 200mm end and then did a heavy crop,the 7 x 5 print looked really fine and i will test a bigger print, just to see how much cropping i can get away with.

I use an Epsom R240, which is a cheap printer, but the results are much nicer than what i see on the monitor. I hope your 55-200 grabs that nice shot that restores your faith in the lens - though the weather is poor in the UK at present and not much sign of getting better this week (thats the downside of owning a D50 -I now watch the weather reports !!!!!!!)
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote