Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:34 PM   #1

I recently purchased a Nikon D50 with the 18-55 kit lens, and also purchased the 18-200 VR Nikon lens. These were purchased at Circuit City.

I've taken quite a few pictures over the past two weeks, and I've noticed that the pictures are quite soft, to the point of looking "out of focus". I've used manual settings, as well as every one of the auto settings. I get the same results, whether the object is up close, or it's just a landscape shot; no matter which lens I use. I've changed the option to "sharper" in the menu, but that doesn't help either.

There is just an overall lack of detail, lack of crispness, and I'm not very happy with it.

Anyone else experience quality issues? or have a solution if it could be an issue with the camera/lens?

Thanks!
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:54 PM   #2

What pictures settings are you using, RAW or JPG, What resolution setting and what software are you using to view the pictures?

My experience with a D70 and RAW is that the sharpning setting on the camera doesn't make a lot of difference only the level of sharpening you select in the RAW converter software. My preference is to do no sharpening in camera or in the RAW converter but load the pictures into photoshop and apply sharpening as the last action before printing or after resizing for screen or web.

Might help to post examples and the exif data.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:56 PM   #3

Will post some samples and data later today...I'm at work and my pictures are on my home computer! Thanks!
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:24 PM   #4

[align=left]I`ve had my D50 for about a month now, my first Dslr so I`m no expert.Firstly I`d check theOptimize ImageMenu ,Set itto normal.Then I`d take some sample pics in daylight ,Aperture priority,a few shots in the 18-55`s Aperture range 3.5-5.6 and then a fewbetween F8 - F11.The same with the VR lens[/align]

[align=left]Load them into Photoshop (or whatever software you use),sharpen and then compare the samples at the different aperture ranges.I find my pics turn out much sharper between F/8 - F/11, I only have the 18-55 kit lens at the moment.Also when in PASM modes you canmove the focus areas around with the D-pad on the camera, try the test shots with the center focus area selected.Yep youv`e guessed it ,I`ve been learning the hard way,:G[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]I`m sure someone wil be able to solve your problem.I agree with Nagasaki about sharpening in editing software rather than camera.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]Good luck[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]TD[/align]
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:34 PM   #5

There are many factors that make the pictures unsharp. Setting the camera, take sample pictures andpost the picture and settings so we can help you identify the problem.

Your 18-55 and 18-200 are not famous for sharpness. Lenses withzoom range of more than 10X like the 18-200 are convenient to use without having to change lenses but you sacrify sharpness on such lenses.

It could be a damaged camera as you suspect. In that case you should bring it to the dealer for inspection.

A normal D50 will give you as sharp a photograph as any other camera in the market now. See sample of my D50 photo with Micro-Nikkor 60mm here:

Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:48 PM   #6

Same D50 with 18-55 kitlens.

Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:41 AM   #7

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
Same D50 with 18-55 kitlens.

I presume that your intention was to show how cheap and soft the 18-55 is, but I think that the sample pic you've used is unfair. You focused on the petal and what seems to be your subject (the fly), is actually out of focus.

I think that with all Dsrls, post processing is fundamental because the cameras ccd has a lowpass filter in front which reduces sharpness and has to be recupareted after with the unsharp mask.

this is a crop of a photo taken withthe18-55

Gothos is offline   Reply With Quote