Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:56 PM   #11

There is not much you can do to eliminate haze. Haze is a physical presence. As such there is not much you can do to eliminate it. If you can see it with your eye, it's going to be there in your image. If you shoot in raw can can fine tune your exposure and color saturation.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:01 PM   #12

For haze reduction inphotoshop use unsharp mask with these settings

Amount - 20%

Radius - 60%

Threshold - 4

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 2:16 AM   #13

DBB wrote:
Quote:
rey wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking about buying a polarizer for the 18-55 kit lens, has anyone done this. I know the front element of the lens spins when focusing, so is the work around that simply focusing first, and then rotating the polarizer? Or does that affect metering?

thanks.

BTW, here's a nice software filter site: http://www.opanda.com/en/pf/index.html
A polarising filter will cost you two stops, But only in maximum position So, if you focus AND lock and then set the polariser, you will under-expose your image.

As for whether its worth it. It certainly can be. Its main job is to eliminate glare. The reflections from glass and water that cannot be captured by your camera, but do act to blow out the picture.

They also have the side effect of adding saturation to the image. Your sky will be deeper, your forest will look more "foresty." :lol:

So, there is a trade off. But a useful gadget to have around.

Dave
Back when I was using my mini Rollei rangefinder with a polarizing filter, I compensated for the change in stops by setting the dial which indicates theASA value of the film to be a certain amount less than it actually was. Doing this, Iwas able to use the camera's light meter as usual, setting shutter speed and fstop so that the light meter said things were perfectly exposed. This worked fine and I got perfectly exposed pictures. I can only imagine the same can be done with a DSLR somehow, by using a programmed mode and setting the +- exposure setting a few tics in the right direction. This should then give you the compensation you need for the polarizer in M,S,A and P modes.

I used the polarizer with my Rollei specifically to darken skies, and have some incredible photos of white buildings in the Cyclades in Greece with deep blue skies.

Steve, Denmark
sti_sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:28 PM   #14

tommysdad wrote:
Quote:
For haze reduction inĀ*photoshop use unsharp mask with these settings

Amount - 20%

Radius - 60%

Threshold - 4

TD
Threshold 0 seems to work better for me.

Either way, that is NEAT! I never knew about that.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:51 PM   #15

this also works very well,local contrast enhance

amount 20%

Radius-50

threshold-0

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...ancement.shtml

experiment and let me know how it goes,we learn off eachother

TD

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 5:02 PM   #16
rey

Thanks for the help guys, I just got my D50 last week so I'll be spending more time with PhotoShop. Normally I just use the "I'm feeling Lucky" option in Picasa2. But now that I've moved up from my 2MP camera, I guess I'll take post processing more seriously. By seriously I meant having serious fun with it.:-)

Currently I have Elements 2.0, what do you guys think about Nikon Capture. Is it worth it, or am I better off moving up to Elements 4.0.

BTW, I just noticed that Rockwell recently updated his PS stuff:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/ps-contrast.htm

rey is offline   Reply With Quote