Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:45 AM   #1

Hi, got a D50 approx 3 months ago and ever since I've been reading alot to educate myself on taking pictures in manual mode.

Something confused me tonight while snapping a shots of my 2 year old.

Its indoor at night under artificial light and I set the camera to Programmed Auto with flash on. The camera gave me an aperture/shutter speed of 1/60 at F3.5. The pic looks fine. So then I switched to manual and dial in 1/60 at F3.5 and pop the flash. I'm sitting in the same spot and the focal length is unchanged. The light meter is flashing and showing me the picture will be underexposed by more than 3 stops. How can that be right? I snap the shot anyways and it turns out fine.

Why is my light meter lying? Does the light meter not take into consideration my flash is up? Is the light meter only good for non-flash photography?
msalvag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:37 PM   #2

msalvag wrote:
Quote:
Hi, got a D50 approx 3 months ago and ever since I've been reading alot to educate myself on taking pictures in manual mode.

Something confused me tonight while snapping a shots of my 2 year old.

Its indoor at night under artificial light and I set the camera to Programmed Auto with flash on. The camera gave me an aperture/shutter speed of 1/60 at F3.5. The pic looks fine. So then I switched to manual and dial in 1/60 at F3.5 and pop the flash. I'm sitting in the same spot and the focal length is unchanged. The light meter is flashing and showing me the picture will be underexposed by more than 3 stops. How can that be right? I snap the shot anyways and it turns out fine.

Why is my light meter lying? Does the light meter not take into consideration my flash is up? Is the light meter only good for non-flash photography?
Your light meter isn't lying. The camera's light meter is for available light.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:23 PM   #3

Thanks JerryF. Now that I think about it that way it all makes sense. thanks.

So basically if the meter is telling me there's not enough light for the indoor shot, I should revert to flash photography and take the shot. correct?

msalvag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:10 PM   #4
me2

I had the exact same experience and questions.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote