Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:02 PM   #1

I have a Nikon SLR D50. I am using a Sigma lens from my old Nikon film N65 camera. The shots I am taking are coming out blurry or not focused very well. I have tried it on sports action mode and auto mode. The smaller lens works fine but the zoom 70-300 isn't so great. Any advice? Should I buy a lens just for the digital D50, if so which do you recommend?
vollady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2006, 5:13 PM   #2

If you can post a sample shot with the exif data people may have more of an idea what the problem is. Blur could be due to camera movement with the longer focal length. As a rule of thumb you should be aiming for a shutter speed of 1/125 or better 1/500 handholding a 300mm lens.

Also what focus mode due you use AF-S or AF-C? if it's AF-C the shutter will fire whether your subject is in focus or not. You'd need to half press the shutter and only press it all the way down when you're sure the subject is in focus.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 7:45 AM   #3

Thanks here is a sample pic I deleted most of them they were that bad. It seems to be worse at night but still bad during the day. Should I just buy a tripod? Also someone said I needed a digital lens? I would appreciate any advice, I want to get some good pics this baseball season it's why I bought this camera.
Attached Images

vollady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:57 AM   #4

Looking at this shot the problem is where the camera is focusing. The women on the bench behind look sharp but your main subject is out of focus. What focus settings are you using? I'd try dynamic and select the focus point that is over your subject.

I think in auto you get closest focus and in sports it will shoot whether in focus or not. Try P mode.

I don't think a different lens will help with this. Digital lenses are lenses that are designed for the smaller sensor but standard lenses work fine.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 7:05 AM   #5

Nagasaki is right. You're lens looks fine, as parts of the image are in focus. You just missed the focus point. Selecting the center focus area with the 4 way controller should work well (or just make sure the bold focus point is over your main subject). Once you've aquired the subject, dynamic focus should keep moving objects in focus.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote