Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 12, 2006, 5:44 PM   #11

Now you're making me feel bad

I still love my D2X though. I have a pic currently that was 6 frames shot vertically, with the D2X, and stitched together with PTGui to create a native 14"x38" print that I am entering in the county fair in a couple of weeks. It is a truly awesome (pardon my tooting my own horn) panorama of Yosemite Valley that I an pretty sure will be a winner.

I just consider myself blessed and lucky to be able to own both cameras. Now if I can just drum up some business to start paying for these toys I'll be able to sleep better at night.

:sleep:
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:16 AM   #12

Sorry, wasn't trying to make you feel bad... I was speaking more for myself. You are lucky enough to own the two nicest Nikon camera's made!! :G You are a good person to compare the two camera's actually... what are your thoughts D2X vs D200 and take into consideration the huge cost difference and if those differences add up.
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:39 AM   #13

The D2x will be better in the longevity department I think with a longer shutter life. When It comes to action photos 8fps is pretty awesome. The D2X also has way better battery life than the D200.

I think if the D200 had come out first though, I wouldn't have purchased the D2X. I would have purchased 2 D200s :lol:

At any rate it is great to have two great cameras to rely on for important shoots. I also have a D70 as an additional backup. I've heard of photographers having major problems even with 3 bodies when none of them wanted to work when it came time for the big assignment. I am moving into the realm of full time business with my photography so that makes it easier to justify the expense (especially to the little lady).
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:54 AM   #14

Good points, the 8 fps is in the high speed crop mode right? When you switch it into that mode, doe's it change the image size? Heck, 5 fps has got to be fast enough for 99% of the people out there right? I'm just jealous you have both camera's.:|
Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:09 PM   #15

Yes, 8 fps is only at 6MP or so. I'm just showing off :blah:

5 fps is probably fast enough most of the time even for me. I haven't used that feature much on either camera. I tried once on my D70 (3 fps) with a Civil War reenactment and it didn't perform anywhere near that speed. The D2X sounds like a machine gun even at the full 12 MP.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:33 PM   #16

i ordered mine 3 weeks ago. The site said it was in stock, but i'm still waiting. Just the way things go with new equipment. Everyone wants one.
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 3:01 PM   #17

Call National camera exchange in Burnsville, MN. They had five off them last week when I got mine. I've gotta tell you I went to a local duck pond/small lake that is full of Wood ducks and Hooded mergansers and when they launch out of the water I just get my focus sharp and hold the shhutter down while following the object and man does it present a nice sequence. I went out at lunch today and we had a nice sunny day and I got some Hooded mergansers bursting and flying low on top of the water that are awesome! I still am learning switching from Aperture Priority (depth of field shots) to Shutter Priority to make sure I'm stopping those wing beats. It's a learning curve but I'm getting there, I think. I also need to figure out what setting I need to turn on when I'm trying to have it lock on a subject and keep it in focus as it's flying.