Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:31 AM   #11

winemaker-

I recently came across a Nikon Refurbished D-50 for $399 at Beach Camera. At that price, I snatched it up, and it has been a great camera in every way.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:08 AM   #12

Well, my D50 came last week. I have had so much fun taking pictures, it is everything that I hoped for. Now the search is on for the perfect bag. Is there such a thing???? I have an older tamrac system 6, and it's just not what I want. I can't go to a store as there aren't any here in Juneau; so I am stuck with picking one out online. Any ideas? I've looked at domke, lowepro stealth bags, the tamrac velocity 3, and some crumpler bags. Without seeing them it's so hard! I want to carry my camera with the tamrom 18-200 lens on it, various accessories and if possible a water bottle and my cell phone. Possible?

Thanks!
Jlynnpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:59 AM   #13

Janet-

I use a larger Sumdex camera bag as my combination purse and camera bag every day and it works quite well. I can carry two SDR bodies with lenses mounted, or a my Nikon D-50 with a lens as well as two additional lenses, an external flash, and a Fuji F-10. here is a link to that bag.

http://www.ebags.com/sumdex/x_sac_pr...?modelid=14569

Kiesel also makes a bag of about the same size and I have that one as well that I tend to take on longer trips, but i use the Sumdex around town.

MT

Old Apr 8, 2006, 2:23 PM   #14

ok, i got a couple of serious questions for younikon guys. i wanna buy a tele lens that isn't quite so expensive and i narrowed it down to about 4.

first of all: sigma or tamron? and second of all: 18-200 or 28-300?

i would like to have bothwide and tele but i would also like for the lens to focus fast and render good results in low light condisions.

if you think you can help, please, jump right in. i'm anxiously waiting for your thoughts on the matter.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 2:47 PM   #15

Zygh-

I too am interested in hearing Janet's review of the Tamron 18-200mm lens. As I mentioned previously, I have a Sigma 28-300mm lens that I use on my Pentax DS when on long trips and where I want to avoid lens changing. Its performance has been good, but not great, in terms of photo quality.

Personally, I believe that the Tamron 18-200mm lens would do a better job or perhaps be a better compromise of giving you the alternative of both a wide angle and a moderate zoom lens all in one. The Nikkor 18-200 VR lens at about $(US) 1000. is just too expensive.

MT
Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:39 PM   #16

Zygh,

If you already have the kit lens, then i would suggest either the Nikon 55-200 or the Sigma 70 -300 APO macro.

If not or you want just a single lens on the camera, the Tamron 18-200 Or sigma 18-200 might give the most useful field of view

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:59 PM   #17

Norm-

What about the Nikkor 70-300mm F 4.0 lens?

MT
Old Apr 8, 2006, 7:34 PM   #18

norm smith wrote:
Quote:
If you want just a single lens on the camera, the Tamron 18-200 Or sigma 18-200 might give the most useful field of view

Andbetween the two, which one is best: sigma or tamron? that is the question...
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:34 PM   #19

Zygh-

Both the Tamron and the Sigma 18-200mm lenses seem to be something of a compromise. Each has its own supporters. The only 18-200mm lens that has greater than minority support is the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens.

Until Tamron and Sigma can gain more suport an enthusiasmfor their 18-200mm lenses, they will be considered small time competitors to the Nikkor 18-200mm lens.

MT
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:10 PM   #20

If your looking for just one lens this would be your best choice

Nikon
Wide Angle - Telephoto Zoom AF Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR DX Autofocus Lens ** $749.95

If the price needs to be on the really low end you may want to check into these.

Tamron
AF 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Zoom for Nikon AF-D $399.95
$369.95 after rebate

Tokina
AT-X 242 AF 24-200MM f/3.5-5.6 SD for Nikon (72) $299.95

3 Lens setup or pick the ones you need below these are all great lens on the less expensive end

Tamron
SP AF 17-35mm f2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Ultra Wide-Angle Zoom Lens for Nikon AF-D $499.95
$449.95 after rebate

Nikon
Wide-Tele AF Zoom Nikkor 35-70mm f2.8D Autofocus Lens $649.95

Nikon Telephoto AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 ED AF-D Autofocus Lens $919.95

All just sample prices above.

Their are even better lens but I'm assuming these are out of the question.

Many people but DSLRs for the wrong reason and end up buying cheap glass that doesn't do the body justice, do yourself a favor and buy good glass the glass is were the real investment is not the body, glass will stay with you longer than the body and as you buy better bodies the better glass will only complement it, if the glass isn't of good quality you'll only find yourself buying glass over and over again soon you have a collection which in most cases you only use maybe 2 or 3 on a regular basis. Money wasted in the long run if you plan and do it right the first time around you'll save a lot of money.

For those who don't invest in good glass would be really better off with a really good prosumer camera as the lens in most cases will be better than a cheap SLR Interchangeable lens the shots from it will be sharper and have better contrast also.

jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote