Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:27 PM   #21

Perhaps this link will prove useful.

http://www.tamron.com/galleries/hubbard/gallery.asp
The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:10 AM   #22

i found this thread : http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7524

yes, i'm looking for that "all-in-one" lens and yes, i don't have enough dough to go buy the vr just yet. someday i will but not right now. i'm working on it. and i don't see myself carrying 2-3 lenses to use with my d50.from what i read and saw on the link posted above, the sigma 18-200 is more than capable to fit my needs. that is, until i actually have the bucks to spend on that vr lens.

i absolutely agree with the fact that in order to make the most of one's dlsr, one would have to get the best glass. but, as someone else has posted, the 18-200 or even the 28-300 are good lenses for beginners in the dslr corner.

i'm sure there's lots of others that fit my description in terms of photography and dslr knowledge and for those my conclusionwould be that the sigma 18-200 is the best compromise lens pricewise.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 7:43 AM   #23

Zygh thanks for the link .The Sigma 18-200 looks reallysharp in the test pics,it seems to be well worth considering.Maybe the Tamron will perform better when stopped down a little.

Winemaker ,thanks for the link I enjoyed looking at the pics especially the Michael Birt celebrity portraits.

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:49 AM   #24

what i'd really like to see is how well do these two lenses (sigma/tamron 18-200) perform in low light conditions.

anyone got a link? :roll:
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:08 AM   #25

tommysdad wrote:
Quote:
Zygh thanks for the link .The Sigma 18-200 looks reallysharp in the test pics,it seems to be well worth considering.Maybe the Tamron will perform better when stopped down a little.

Winemaker ,thanks for the link I enjoyed looking at the pics especially the Michael Birt celebrity portraits.

TD
Quote:
Years ago I went with Tamron lense for my Nikon camera. I saw images of Clint Eastwood, Jerry Lewis and others, photographed by Eddie Adams using Tamron lenses on his camera AND werestunning. (See Eddie Adams bio here) Remember seeing the image of a North Vietnamese soldier being executed at point blank range with a revolver held by a South Vietnamese General? That was Eddie Adams who photographed it. http://www.eddieadamsworkshop.com/info/?c=bio
Quote:
Here is a link to read of a photographer, Don Gale, featuerd in Imigaing Info.com http://www.imaginginfo.com/article/a...siteSection=41His camera is a Fuji S3, not an inexpensive camera at any means, and it shows his choice of lenses.... all Tamaron. In fact he especially lauds the Tamron 11-18mm lens. His images are quite nice to look at too. :-)
Quote:
And this link is a quite ineresting read about Edde Adams, from Shutterbug Magazine. It has the Picture of Jerry Lewis I saw listed one time that he took with his camera and his Tamron Lens. I belive it was titled "and sometimes he cries". http://www.shutterbug.net/features/1103sb_eddie/
Quote:
Point is, take a look at these if you want, as they are great reads, but the main thing is the man behind the camera and not the camera or lens. But don't discount the Tamron lense as not a "name brand" lens like Nikkor, or Zeiss or such as there were and still are an awful lot of poignant photogrpahs taken with the Tamron lenses.
Quote:
Oh, and one other thing. That workshop mentioned in the top link, with 100 photographers at no charge in New York, is sponsored by Tamron, Nikon and others related to photography.
Quote:
The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:01 AM   #26

I'm a new owner of the D50

Is the sigma 18 - 200 totally compatible with the D50 in Auto mode, and all its functions

Thanks

artie
artiemagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:24 AM   #27

artiemagee wrote:
Quote:
Is the sigma 18 - 200 totally compatible with the D50 in Auto mode, and all its functions

as long as it has a nikon mount, it is.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:26 PM   #28

I am no expert, but I really love my d50 and the tamron lens. The zoom isn't going to be enough for me, I will have to get another lens. :-) But, for most of my shooting it is just right. I take my camera with me everywhere, and have not found a situation when the pictures didn't come out right. Low light is no problem, I even take pictures through a sunny window at some kids outside and it comes out nice. I love this camera! I have so much to learn, I haven't taken it off of automatic yet, although my son has and keeps wanting to take it away from me.

How do I go about posting any sample pictures? And I still haven't decided on a bag, but I think it's narrowed down to a domke j-2, a courierware bag, a lowepro slingshot. Anyone use those?

Happy in alaska,

Janet
Jlynnpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:56 PM   #29

Lowepro slingshot AW200, I dont leave home without it,room for D50 with compact zoom and space for another 3 lenses.Really comfortable to use .Your camera is accessable in a matter of seconds!!!

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:43 AM   #30

hi

if you can deal with the wide 28

the tamron 28-200xr is only $149:|

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...ku=TM28200XRNA
automaton2 is offline   Reply With Quote