Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 24, 2006, 3:32 PM   #1

Hello,
I am getting ready to buy my first DSLR, and it will be the
nikon D50. I really need to get a good zoom lens as I take pictures of eagles and whales here in Alaska. My son recommends the tamron 28-300 lens. Would this be a good lens or should I stick with the 18-55 and 70-200 that comes in a kit?
Thanks,
Janet
Jlynnpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:11 PM   #2

Jlynnpeter wrote:
Quote:
Hello,
I am getting ready to buy my first DSLR, and it will be the
nikon D50. I really need to get a good zoom lens as I take pictures of eagles and whales here in Alaska. My son recommends the tamron 28-300 lens. Would this be a good lens or should I stick with the 18-55 and 70-200 that comes in a kit?
Thanks,
Janet
There is always a big debate over zooms and primes, and the zooms often take a bashing, especially the "ultra zooms" like the Tamron 28-300. It depends on what you want. If you don't want to change lenses often, I'd go for the Tamron. There are others who will tell you the exact opposite, and for their reasons, they are absolutely correct. (I'm not looking to start an argument over lens theory.) For what it's worth, I just bought the Tamron myself. (and so far I'm very happy with it.)

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:38 PM   #3

For pictures indoors the wide end of the Tamron will leave you wanting wider. I want wider with my 18-70 kit lens more times than not. I'd go with the two lens solution just so I didn't always have to lug the larger lens around the house for kid pictures (or grand kid pictures). And the longer one for hunting whales and eagles. My 2 cents worth.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 7:07 PM   #4

I have that Tamron 28-300 too and it isnt too shabby. Previously I had a Panny LZ5 and Id say the Tamron with the D50 outperforms that setup by a long way...

Just to take up a point here that I have seen banded about the forums alot, which is zooms are only decent for birding and extreme wildlife. It simply isnt true. Often when going walkabout around a town or city I find myself zooming in on stuff, giving perspective a wide would never do.

At the end of the day, if I wanted a wide shot of a static object I can always do a stitch...
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 2:37 PM   #5

you might wanna check out the sigma 18-200mm for the nikon d50. its got both wide and tele
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:55 PM   #6

I just got a good deal on aTamron 28-200 secondhand.Stopped downI`m happy with the pictures it produces.Negative posts and reviews didn`t put me off.

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:19 PM   #7

Well, I just ordered my d50 with the kit 18-55 and ordered the tamron 18-200. I can't wait to try it all out! I'm hoping that the printed quality will be much better than what I am used to. I went to my son's wedding in February and only had my kodak dx6490. It did alright, but the printed photos aren't what I had hoped for. ..and the photographer's prices are insane!
Thank you for all the advice, this is a great forum.

:-) Janet in Alaska
Jlynnpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:49 PM   #8

You`ll find the D50 a bit of a Step backwards from the DX6490 then :G.Since buying my D50 I cant remember the last time I powered my trusty 6490 up??

Enjoy your new camera !!

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 9:11 PM   #9

I've got the 28-200 XR (IF) Zoom for my Nikon F3 and am waiting for the day I get a D50 to try the lens on. One thing.... you do NOT want to be taking pictures of kids and people in general in the wide mode. Nothing under the equivalent of 50mm and there are some professionals that say that is too wide. It causes distortion to be too close and use the wide angle lens on people. Most of the time it is not flattering and can be downright strange to look at later on when viewing. 85mm on up to 135mm is a good people persprective in 35mm film. Equivalent in digital should also hold true. I just wished Tamon (or others ...hint hint) would post pictures made by real people with their camera and lens combinations. It would be very nice to see.

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:54 PM   #10

Keeping in mind what you mentioned what you want to shoot eagles and whales and the fact that you are thinking about a lens @ 300mm withthe 28-300 tamron.
First off for birds it may not be a problem hand holdingbut at 300mm you may need a tripod or at least may want to use one, for the whales I'm going to assume on a boat so VR will be a feature you want or should at least think about since it will be rocking some.
Now what is your budget like?
If the 70-200 isthe f/2.8 VR model it would be highly recommended and would be your best choice while not 300mm it is the finest lens available in the 70-200 range! and maybe add a 1.4x or 1.7x for the extra reach.
If it isn't the VR version I would rethink the lens choices for your needs but budget will be the final deciding factor.
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote