Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:29 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm new to posting in the forum and am in a bit of a quandary.
I know that I want the 18-70 mm lens and since the price of a D50 or a D70s with this lens is about the same. I would like to get some opinions about which is the better camera, advantages/disadvantages etc.

I'm a 35mm photographer from 35 years ago with a Nikkormat Ftn match needle exposure system (still use it.)

Thanks for your consideration.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:27 PM   #2

JimF-

I own both the D-70 and the D-50. IMHO the D-50 has the edge, and I have proved that to myself by purchasing the D-50 and using it for awhile. In fact I have my D-70 up for sale on E-Bay right now.

The Nikkor 18-70mm is an excellent lens and it is indeed worth a few more dollars over the Nikkor 18-55mm. IMHO you would be further ahead purchasing the D-50 with the Nikkor 18-70mm for starters.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:11 PM   #3

One of the reasons a D50, besides being smaller may be the pick is noise vs ISO. At ISO 800 there is virtually no noise and there is about the same amount or less noise at ISO 1600 as there is with the D70 at ISO 800.

This is important if you are shooting any indoor sports activity, since even with a good f/2.8 zoom lens you will be shooting at 1/360 at ISO 1600 to get stop action.

mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:31 AM   #4
rey

I got my D50 just a couple of weeks ago and I love it! But honestly, the only reason I didn't get the D70s is because of my budget. If they are both priced the same I'd buy the D70s. It has the following that I wish the D50 have:

White Balance fine tuning
Depth of Field preview button (you might miss this if you used it in 35mm SLR)
Built-in wireless flash remote (the add-on cost is ~$200)
View finder grid (I really miss this as even my 2MP P&S had it)

If I had the money I would have gotten the D70s, but I'm happy with my D50.

If you're in the US, check out Cameta on eBay, I got my D50 there with the 18-55, 70-300G and a Nikon bag for $680. I couldn't find a D70s that came close to that.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:50 AM   #5

I am using D50 too.

But some reports say that the low-noise of D50 is because of over-filtering

- less noise at the cost of real details.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 8:57 AM   #6

• Noise. I've already mentioned this, but the D50 has simply incredible noise tendencies compared to the D70s. At ISO 1600 in JPEG, noise is lurking, but not particularly visible. At ISO 1600 in NEF, noise is visible, but not particularly objectionable (the chroma aspect of the noise is the primary culprit, but this is more subdued than what I see out of my D70s). JPEG shooters shouldn't be afraid to shoot at any ISO value. NEF shooters should be ready to pull out noise reduction software at ISO 1600. big_potato wrote:
    Quote:
    I am using D50 too.

But some reports say that the low-noise of D50 is because of over-filtering

- less noise at the cost of real details.
    [/*]
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:26 AM   #7

Noise. I've already mentioned this, but the D50 has simply incredible noise tendencies compared to the D70s. At ISO 1600 in JPEG, noise is lurking, but not particularly visible. At ISO 1600 in NEF, noise is visible, but not particularly objectionable (the chroma aspect of the noise is the primary culprit, but this is more subdued than what I see out of my D70s). JPEG shooters shouldn't be afraid to shoot at any ISO value. NEF shooters should be ready to pull out noise reduction software at ISO 1600.
http://www.bythom.com/D50REVIEW.htm

vs D200

As you crank up the ISO, the noise levels do go up and noise becomes visible. Like the D1x and D2x, I'd say that the line between "ignore" and "pay attention to" is somewhere between 400 and 800. I'm very comfortable with ISO 100 to 400 without making any changes to my shooting, without overly worrying about small exposure or white balance misses, without considering the level of in-camera sharpening, and so on. By ISO 800 I would be thinking about small adjustments to camera settings if I was shooting JPEG. Like the D2x, there's a low amount of chroma noise when noise does rear up. Unlike the D2x, the D200's noise pattern looks less random and less film like.
http://www.bythom.com/d200review.htm
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:29 AM   #8

First, there are the folk that tend to use DSLRs in all-automatic modes and rarely print above 8x10". These people are better served by a D50 or D70s. You may want a better, more elaborate camera, but you don't need it. Indeed, the menu system and extensive feature set of the D200 is going to overwhelm most of those people. For what? Some more resolution? That's not necessary if they're not printing large on a regular basis. If you shoot all-automatic and only JPEG, I'd intensify my statement: buy a D50 instead. The D50 is the closest thing to a DSLR you can set on all-automatic (including Auto ISO) and get decent pictures most of the time, at least in JPEG settings.
http://www.bythom.com/d200review.htm