Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 28, 2007, 2:28 AM   #11

Up date from Tejas Medicineman:

I took the Nikon D70s along with an 18-70 Nikon lens, and a Nikon SB-800 to the National Chili Contest in Nov of 2006. Took over 1500 shots during the week.

I learned a lot about battery issues, (covered in another thread about Li-Ion)

The 18-70 Nikon lens worked wonders for me. The overall sharpness was amazing compared to the Sigma I had been using.
Rather than buying a separate lens for macro use, I have tried front screw on lenses with some good luck.

My 18-200 Nikon lens just came in, and it is a beauty of craftsmanship. I am amazed at the sharpness at any of the ranges.

The SB-800 talks to the D70s, and if you open up the manuals and read them, you can make special adjustments on both the camera and the flash to balance a perfect picture. Both the D70s and the SB-800 get fooled sometimes, learn to adjust.

Right now, I guess I should stick to the old adage, when all else fails, read the instructions.

Tejas Medicineman

tejasmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 2:28 AM   #12

Up date from Tejas Medicineman:

I took the Nikon D70s along with an 18-70 Nikon lens, and a Nikon SB-800 to the National Chili Contest in Nov of 2005. Took over 1500 shots during the week.

I learned a lot about battery issues, (covered in another thread about Li-Ion)

The 18-70 Nikon lens worked wonders for me. The overall sharpness was amazing compared to the Sigma I had been using.
Rather than buying a separate lens for macro use, I have tried front screw on lenses with some good luck.

My 18-200 Nikon lens just came in, and it is a beauty of craftsmanship. I am amazed at the sharpness at any of the ranges.

The SB-800 talks to the D70s, and if you open up the manuals and read them, you can make special adjustments on both the camera and the flash to balance a perfect picture. Both the D70s and the SB-800 get fooled sometimes, learn to adjust.

Right now, I guess I should stick to the old adage, when all else fails, read the instructions.

Tejas Medicineman

Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:51 PM   #13

Up date

Be aware, that the smaller NIKON 18-70 lens has 67mm filters. If you purchase the NIKON 18 to 200, you will need a whole new set of 72mm filters.

By the way, there is a neat hand strap that is available on eBay that is a nice safety carrier. It screws into the tripod base of the camera and the other end slips through the right camera ring. It really gives you a firm grip on the camera and keeps it from slipping from your hand. The bottom screw-in piece has another screw-in hole on the bottom side, so you can still put it on a tripod without having to remove the strap handle.

Tejas Medicineman