Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:14 PM   #1

After researching these forums and reading many threads and asking questions i made the decision to go for a dslr instead of the long zoom prosumer camera that i was looking at. I think i got a good deal at my local camera shop here inN. Ireland, D50 with twin lens 18-55mm and 55-200mm for £459 thats only £50more than the same shop was selling S9500 for. I would like to thank all those who helped me make up my mind, and thank those who contribute so much valuable info on these treads, these forums are of great benefit to me and many others, long may they continue. Now i have to read the manual and enjoy

Many Thanks

artie magee
artiemagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:21 PM   #2

At only 50 quid more for the twin-lens kit, you made the right decision! Hope you enjoy!
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:32 PM   #3

yes they had an in shop offer camera with nikon 18-55mm £449buy second lensnikon 55-200mm for £10

artie
artiemagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:17 AM   #4

I have been considering D50 against Canon 350D. I am all sold on to D50 because of all it's advantages of good ergonomics, good price, good results. The only deal breakers which compel me to consider 350D are the absence of [1] Mirror Lock Up function and [2] DOF preview.

I am new to the world of DSLRs and can judge little about the relative importance and weightage of these two issues. Can somebody enlighten in simple language?
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:05 AM   #5

im a beginner too at this but I believe mirror lock up lets you take long exposures, without that mirror snapping back. There is a mirror in a DLSR that lets you see through the OVF, unlike p&s cameras which see through the CCD sensor i think. So when picture taken, the mirror lifts up, the shutter opens and image taken. For long exposures, mirror stays up longer.

DOF, i never had it from my p&s cameras, never really felt at a loss, so it wasnt a big concern to me.

Anyway, you have made an excellent choice in camera! Most important thing is to have fun!
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:55 AM   #6
rey

Quote:
I have been considering D50 against Canon 350D. I am all sold on to D50 because of all it's advantages of good ergonomics, good price, good results. The only deal breakers which compel me to consider 350D are the absence of [1] Mirror Lock Up function and [2] DOF preview.
Mirror Lockup in D50 can be done with a wireless IR remote. It cost about $17. I agree about the DOF preview. I really wish my D50 has it, but it just wasn't important enough for me to spend more.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote