Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:17 AM   #1

Looking for validation of what I think is best for me (general shooting; indoors, outdoors, some low light, some longer zooms at auto races, etc.)

After a LOT of reading, research, etc.....

Refurbed D50 at Buydig for $399

DX 18-70 (Nikon refurb) for ~$150 on ebaY

Later a Nikon 55-200 from ebaY once I'm comfortable with the initial purchase. Probably a 1.8 50mm prime also

(My history...had and used a Nikon FG (still have it!) for many years prior to going digital. Have had MANY p&shooters since. No lust for things I can't do with an S2IS or FZ30)

Thanks much for your advice!

Mike
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:49 AM   #2

Mike-

I think you have maximized your savings and are projecting a rather good kit. You might find your low light level shooting a bit compromised without the addition of the Nikkor 50mm F 1.8, as the other selected lenses are quite good but have smaller availableapertures.

I do a lot of, quite effective low light level shooting, using the Nikkor 50mm F 1.8 and a Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response which I value. Any thoughts on the factory refurbed Nikon lenses going on ebaY? Sellers I'm looking at have great ratings and the 18-70 prices are VERY attractive. Advertised as 7 yr. USA warranty....

Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:44 PM   #4

I have not seen those Nikon refurb lenses on E-bay. I do use the Nikkor 18-70 lens that came as a kit lens on my D-70 a lot and I like it very much.

MT
Old Apr 8, 2006, 2:00 PM   #5

Ijust went over to Ebay and searched out the Nikkor 18-70 Nikon refurbished lens. IMHO I would not be fearful at all, it looks to be a good deal and they have a 7 day return policy.

MT
Old Apr 8, 2006, 2:24 PM   #6

Hey dequardo,
I bought the Nikon 18-70 DX IF lens from Cameta on Ebay for right around $200.00 USD. It's a factory demo and has a 1 year waaranty....I highly recommend it and them. As for the refurb D50, I personally would go with new. The price is as little as $100.00 more and the warranty coverage goes from in most cases 90 days with refurb to 1 year new (2 years here in Canada). Just my two cents...good luck!
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:47 AM   #7

Thanks to all for your assistance. This morning I placed orders (separately) for the D50 (Buydig.com) and for a Nikkor 18-70mm. Looking forward to being a 'photographer' again instead of just taking pictures. I'll post some initial attempts in a week or so.

Mike