Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:38 AM   #1

From looking at the camera package and/or the body of the camera itself, how do you know if it is a refurbished one ? Is the box or the camera marked in any way as a refurbished item ?
PRISMA777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:47 AM   #2
Administrator

It's been a few years since I've bought a factory refurbished Nikon. But, they used to mark the boxes as factory reconditioned.

Factory reconditioned models also include a 90 Day manufacturer's warranty (versus the standard 1 year warranty for a new camera).

Nikon USA actually sells factory recondtioned cameras directly to the public via their
NikonMall web site (but, you can usually find a better deal via vendors that buy them from Nikon and resell them).

Just make sure it's a genuine factory reconditioned camera with a manufacturer's warranty from Nikon in your country, and avoid gray market cameras (models intended for sale in another region).

If you buy a gray market camera, Nikon USA will refuse to service it, even if you are willing to pay them for the service. This is done, in part, to discourage bypassing of the authorized regional distributors (for example: Nikon USA, Nikon Europe, Nikon Canada).

Many of the scam artists type vendors around will import Nikon cameras intended for sale in another country. Avoid those if you want a serviceable camera.

It's a good idea to check out any vendor you consider using http://www.resellerratings.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:09 AM   #3

Jim C-

Both Beach Camera and BuyDig (they are owned by the same people) are selling the Nikon Factory Refurbished D-50body for $399.99. They come in a very well marked Nikon box just like this:

The D-50 camera bodyhas a 90 day Nikon Guarantee and, if you are unhappy both Beach and Buydig accept returns. I have been very pleaseed with my refurbished D-50 and it has been perfect in every way. It made sense for me because I was used to factory refurbished cameras and I already owned a bunch of Nikon lenses

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Administrator

I saw your post about the deal there a while back.

It's amazing how low the prices on entry level DSLR models are now compared to a few years back.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Nikon factory reconditioned model for my needs (if it's a factory reconditioned model like you bought) provided it was a model I wanted. I'm boycotting the D50 for personal reasons. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to get one from my wife (since we still have some Nikkor lenses) But, it's a fine camera for most users.

The last time I bought a factory reconditioned Nikon (it's been a few years) it arrived in perfect condition, and was indistinquishable from a brand new camera (finish, etc.). Even the manuals were shrink wrapped, just like a new camera. I suspect that it was a new camera (and they decided to call it reconditioned to get rid of remaining stock at the time). lol
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:59 PM   #5

I just purchased a refurbished unit from Cameta and have been very pleased with it. Cameta also offers a 1 year extended warranty (through them of course) on the purchase.
SilentBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:17 PM   #6

Thank you very much for your kind answers to you all !

By the way, in the USA do 100% of d50's come from Thailand ?

Which brand of lens may be considered the " better one " ? Tamron, Sigma, Tokina ?

Thanks again !
Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:51 PM   #7

In most cases, the Nikkor lenses get the first look, then I begin thinking: Tokina, Sigma, Tamron in that order.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 9:52 AM   #8

PRISMA777 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much for your kind answers to you all !

By the way, in the USA do 100% of d50's come from Thailand ?

Which brand of lens may be considered the " better one " ? Tamron, Sigma, Tokina ?

Thanks again !

I read that amateur level dSLR for Nikon are all made in Thailand and pro level dSLR are all made in Japan.
globeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 1:22 PM   #9

Cosumer-grade DSLR parts can be made from Thailand or China. My D50 kit has Thailand parts, but additional parts I bought separately came from China.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 3:58 PM   #10

Nikon D50's instruction manual does not specify you may use 2 Gigas SD cards, only up to 1 Gga; but, can you actually use the larger capacity ones ? Has any one had experience with other brands not recommended by Nikon ?

Attached Images