Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:07 PM   #1

I am considering buying a D50 kit from Genius Cameras. I have read the reviews but I am not detered because of my friends success with them. He bought a canon 20d from them for a good price.

THe one question i have is does it come with a rechargeable battery and charger or are they trying to con me :O

Please help as I am about to buy.

Thanks
photocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:10 PM   #2
Administrator

All D50's come with battery and charger ... you are dealing with crooks. Wise up or get ripped off ! Try B&H Photo instead.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:17 PM   #3
Administrator

photocrazy wrote:
Quote:
I am considering buying a D50 kit from Genius Cameras. I have read the reviews but I am not detered because of my friends success with them. He bought a canon 20d from them for a good price.
You have got to be kidding. You read the reviews and you still want to buy from them? Did your friend check his credit card statement?

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8519.html

You may also want to read this:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

BTW, if you buy a gray market Nikon camera (one not intended for sale in the country you live in), Nikon will refuse to service it, even if you are willing to pay them for the service.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:21 PM   #4

Thanks,

There is an ebay company called cameta camera, are they legit? if so then i just found me a good price. Around $500 for a d50 and 18-55 55-200mm lenses with a bag and other stuff. Does anyone know of any other decent prices around $500 to $550 for the same stuff?

If so then please post a link.

Thanks guys:-)
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:27 PM   #5
Administrator

Cameta is legit.

I've bought from them more than once myself.

But, the price you're seeing is probably for used gear (they've got some demo models priced lower on Ebay, with a Cameta versus Nikon warranty). Their listings clearly show them as demos (and the warranty information shows aCameta warranty).

Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:30 PM   #6

I am not very woried if it is a store demo as long as it is legit and they wont ripp me off with shipping or any of that conning crap.

I just hope I can have it by the summer as there will be lots of photos to take and i have completely gone off my DSC-F717 as the LCD keeps changing colour.

Ah well as long as the nikon turns out to be what it is supposed to be I will be happy:lol:
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:41 PM   #7
Administrator

photocrazy wrote:
Quote:
I am not very woried if it is a store demo as long as it is legit and they wont ripp me off with shipping or any of that conning crap.
They're a well liked vendor, and they don't sell gray market gear or try to con you from any reports I've seen.

I've bought lenses from them in the past (as they often list factory demo/reconditioned items at a bargain price), and I've had no problems with them.

But, do your homework to make sure you're not paying for extra stuff you may not want (as they do have packages with a lot of junk in them from time to time, too).

They've also got new Nikon D50s listed (but at a higher price than you're seeing for the demo units).

Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:31 PM   #8

Dont waste your time on them!!! They charge 199.00 for the battery and 199.00 for the charger!!! If you dont listen to us you deserve to get screwed. :?
jcorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:12 PM   #9

as i was searching for my d50 a few months ago, i came across the amazing deal that genius had. Ordered, great, confirmation e-mail...wtf? Number didn't work, finally got ahold of them, tried selling me a shit load of stuff, refused it and only wanted what i ordered. 3 days later got the famous "on back order" e-mail. So i cancelled it. Cant believe i wasted a week with that company. Went to ebay, cameta camera. Got my D50 NIB w/28-80mm lense and 3 year warrenty for $611 shipped. Great place
jwxtremre43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:00 AM   #10

Yes i copped on that there was no batttery or charger listed but they had it in the reccomended accessories. No I am fairly sure that I will go with cameta. THey seem to be the only company with a good price and a good user rating.

Thanks guys for the help.:-)