Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:59 PM   #1
Log

Does the d50 come with a plastic snap on LCD protector like its fellow nikon dslr's?

-Logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:03 PM   #2

mine didn't.
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:57 PM   #3

No it doesn't, but you can purchase third party covers for around $30.00. I have one from Hoodman, but Delkin and a few others make them for the D50...A worthwhile investment as far as I'm concerned.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:34 PM   #4

I just useuniversal LCD protectors (the clear film type).Cut them to size and stick them on,theydo the joband you can pick them up cheap.

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 2:04 AM   #5
rey

I bought my Delkin from adorama:
http://www.adorama.com/ICDDND50S.html

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:33 AM   #6

rey,

How do you rate your Delkin cover?
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:08 AM   #7

I looked into getting one of these however I am constantly checking my histogram/highlight readouts shot to shot.Maybe if it didn`t have the flip upshade it would be ok.I have never had a problemviewing the LCD in bright sunlight, not that we get anyover here

TD
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:59 AM   #8
rey

The shade does help on sunlight, but not much. The delkin will protect against scratches, as the LCD is hidden.

Also, when I'm out shooting, I always keep the pop-up shade up. You can still see through the viewfinder, even with the shade up, you just have to turn your head to the left a little and tilt it forward a little. This is how I shoot anyways, to avoid pressing my nose against the LCD.

I do check histograms and highlights right after shooting a picture, as every good photographer should. That was one thing I was really worried about. It would be a hassle (and stupid) to have to open the pop-up shade each time you take a picture, but it turns out it's not a problem. Your eyebrow still makes contact with the eyepiece, so light does not bother you when composing.

The only thing you can't do with the shade up, is hang the camera on your neck with the LCD towards your body. It'll probably break the pop-up shade. I usually just hold it with the len pointing down if I have to walk a little between shots.

One negative thing is that the inside part of the delkin, the side that makes contact with the LCD, is not padded. So with my paranoia, I did use a plastic sticky between them. It's not necessary as the device is held tightly and doesn't move. But I am paranoid. But this way I don't have to replace the plastic sticky. I had to buy one anyways, since I need one for the top LCD. Also, if the pop-up ever breaks, there is a clear, plastic window behind it, so that will protect your LCD.

The other negative thing about the delkin, is that you have to push the two canopy on the sides together to close it. They are spring-loaded and that's what keeps the top canopy up. It would have have been nice if the top canopy is spring loaded and the two on the side doesn't exist, or are just made of canvas or cloth. Then you can just press the top canopy down a little with the face when shooting, and even use your face to close it all the way, so it would have been hands-free to close it. You need one hand, or more like three fingers, to close it right now.

Overall I give it a "Two Thumbs Up" as plastic stickies will protect your LCD from scratching, while this will probably protect it from breaking.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:28 AM   #9

I would say the original shield is strong/tough and scratch-resistant enough already.

Without any external protector, I've been scratching it with my metal spectacles frame on every shot, and sometimes resting the D50 on rough tables with lens pointing to the sky.

Not a single scratch can I find on the screen shield up to now.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:43 AM   #10

Thanks for the review Rey, I`d have probably removed the popup covers by now.I`ll stay with my clear stickies for now.

Pity Nikon didn`t ship a protective cover with the D50.

TD