Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:36 AM   #1

Six weeks ago after much research I decided to puchase Nikon's D200 and a 18-200 ED VR lens. I called my local distributor and was told there was 4 weeks back orders so I checked elswhere in B.C. and was told a similar story. I placed the order a few weeks back and checked with my sales person today and was told that they couldn't deliver till July. " World wide shortage" Yet I look on EBAY and there are cameras available in the states, Australia and England. When I contacted Nikon I'm told that's the way it is. " You can't buy from out of country as there is no warrenty". If I do purchase from the States on Visa I would get there warrenty and Visa Doubles it, I would save enfough to more than cover many shippings back and forth. I don't know where to turn for advise so I'm asking any one out there for their thoughts. Thank You.
REZANOID is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:03 PM   #2

I think your better off waiting, The Grey maket as its called, Might not let you use the warranty for Canada.

I think I remember reading that Nikon especially was stickler about this, and they will NOT even service camera's if they are sold out of region. (as in if it broke you would have to go to the states just to get it repaired)

When spending that much money Its probably best to have a warranty that you KNOW you can use behind it
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 3:25 PM   #3

They have four or five available at National Camera Exchange in Burnsville, MN. Call and ask them about the warranty, who knows.
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:25 PM   #4
Administrator

Nikon Canada will not service a camera intended for sale in another market. See this notice from their web site:

http://www.nikon.ca/about/greymarket.asp

Nikon USA has the same policy. They will not service a camera intended for another market, even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

If the regional distributors (for example: Nikon Canada, Nikon USA, Nikon Europe) are bypassed, they don't make any money on the sale and don't want to incur the cost of servicing the cameras.

By refusing to service grey market cameras, they probably hope to discourage this practice.

BTW, the 18-200 VR is in pretty short supply in the states, too. Most dealers are out of stock with the lenses backordered. Ditto for the camera with this lens bundled.

The D200 bodies are hard to find unbundled, too (Nikon is also packaging them as kits with the 18-70mm lens, and that's all many dealers have now).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 8:25 PM   #5

There you have it, good info Jim! :idea:
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote