Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:07 AM   #1

The package I am buying from Cameta doesnt include a SD card but there is a shop near me that sells them quite cheaply. What write speed should I get considering I will be using the camera for a lot of sport photography and I will be taking a lot of photos very quickly. Would a slow write speed hold me back or should the cameras buffer do the trick??

Thanks for the advice.

( Just realised I should have put this in other topic, sorry )
photocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:37 AM   #2

The D50 has a good buffer and will capture images quickly until the buffer is full. How many shots this is depends on whether youy are shooting RAW or JPG. From the reviews I've read the D50 will flush the buffer to the SD card more quickly if you use the faster cards up to about 6MB per second. Using the 20MB per second ultra fast cards doesn't gain so much as the camera is not able to write the image files to the card that fast.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:00 PM   #3
Administrator

Rob Galbraith has some tests of some of the faster cards in a D50 here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7905

But, he doesn't have any slow cards in the list.

Here is what Steve found using an Ultra II.

See the review conclusion section for more comments:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...n_d50_pg8.html

Quote:
In continuous shooting mode, the D50 lived-up to Nikon's promise of 2.5 frames per second, capturing 20 images in 7.1 seconds; subsequent shots were taken at 4/10 to 7/10 second intervals. The D50's buffer performance was good, taking about 3.5 seconds to flush a full buffer of JPEG Large Fine images to the SD memory card. These measurements were made using an AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm lens and a fast SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD memory card, shooting Large (3008x2000) Fine JPEG images. Nikon claims that dialing back image quality to Large/Normal allows the D50 to capture images at 2.5fps to a depth of 137 shots when using a 256MB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card; I was unable to attain that depth using a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD card.

Things slowed substantially shooting RAW (NEF) images. In single-shot mode, 4 NEF images could be captured at 4/10 second intervals, while subsequent shots with the full buffer came at 1.7 second intervals. In continuous drive mode, 4 NEF images were captured in 1.1 seconds, and subsequent shots could be taken at 1 to 1.5 second intervals with the buffer full. It took 6.5 seconds for the D50 to flush its entire buffer of NEF images to the SD card. RAW+JPEG mode slowed the D50 even more; it captured the first 4 images in the same 1.1 seconds, but subsequent shots came at 1.5 to 2 second intervals and the full buffer flushed in 8 seconds. RAW+JPEG producesonly a Basic quality JPEG; there are no other JPEG quality selections available.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:08 PM   #4

I'm a true novice when it comes to taking pictures. But I just bought the D50 and called Nikon to ask a question. I then asked them about card speed. Not understanding the reasoning behind what they explained to me, the gist was that for this type pf camera card speed has no affect. All they said was try to use a brand that was listed in the manual.
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:33 PM   #5

Mike S wrote:
Quote:
I'm a true novice when it comes to taking pictures. But I just bought the D50 and called Nikon to ask a question. I then asked them about card speed. Not understanding the reasoning behind what they explained to me, the gist was that for this type pf camera card speed has no affect. All they said was try to use a brand that was listed in the manual.

Thats great so I can buy any card and it wont make a difference, thanks guys that saved me a good lot of money

Thanks
photocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 8:29 PM   #6
Administrator

photocrazy wrote:
Quote:
Mike S wrote:
Quote:

Thats great so I can buy any card and it wont make a difference, thanks guys that saved me a good lot of money

Thanks
Well.... I'm not so sure I buy that.

Even Rob Galbraith's tests show that a Sandisk Extreme III is about 25% faster than the Sandisk Ultra II in the D50. So, if there is 25% difference between an Ultra II and an Extreme III, the difference may be more pronounced between slower cards and the Ultra II (since you tend to get diminishing returns after you get to a certain speed card).

Chances are, most current cards are relatively fast. But, some of the older, standard speed cards around may be significantly slower than the Ultra II.

If you never fill up the buffer, you won't see any difference in speed. But, if you're shooting in raw and do fill up the buffer, I'd expect to see performance differences between cards (time to flush files to media).

Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:46 PM   #7

SD prices has dropped a lot recently.

FYI I am using Sandisk Ultra II 1GB & Kingston 120x Ultima 2GB (neither of them the fastest on the market)

So far so good.

D50 built-in fast cache helps a lot.

I would choose reliability/compatibility than speed these days.

If you can afford, choose 50x or above is OK.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:46 PM   #8

I could only find information on how many JPG photo's it takes to fill the buffer, Does anyone know how many RAW pictures can be taken before the buffer is full?

I would never plan on taking more than say 10 shots at once, So Then Card Write speeds would be kind of a moot point. (if the buffer was that large)
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:55 PM   #9
Administrator

Lexiticus wrote:
Quote:
I could only find information on how many JPG photo's it takes to fill the buffer, Does anyone know how many RAW pictures can be taken before the buffer is full?
See my first post in this thread (it quotes the review you'll find here, and goes into detail on the number of photos you can shoot in raw or jpeg before the buffer fills and the camera slows down). It's a 4 frame buffer shooting in raw. Note that a Sandisk Ultra II was used for the review.